NEW STUFF, I'm excited

gt3413

Apr 28, 2006
I took the plunge today and bought clipless pedals (shimano 520's), shoes, a jersey and a new specialized body geometry 2 pro mtb saddle. I can't wait to ride in the morning. I'm nervous/excited about the pedals. No problems while putting around the yard but I don't want to get overconfident because I've heard how easy it is to wreck at first. I need to go the the LBS and have them check out my tektro aquila disc brakes. They always seem to be rubbing. But, they are under warranty so hopefully is will all work out. Any suggestions on getting used to the pedals? Thanks, Greg

Set your pedals fairly loose (assuming they have adjustment) and then spend some time on a grassy area getting used to clipping in and out.

After about half an hour it will become second nature to do it on the flat. Then you need to get used to clipping in and out when you stop suddenly so practice rolling up to a log or curb SLOWLY and when your front wheel hits b eprepared to pop out and put a foot down.

I finally got to take my bike for a short ride after work today. What a difference the pedals make! I really feel it in my hamstrings since I'm concentrating on pedaling in a circular motion. I haven't had any problems clipping in and out yet. But, I'm not so overconfident that I don't expect a few mishaps in the future. I've not really had a "quick release" situation where I've had a chance to get caught in them. I started with them as loose as possible and have cranked them up an entire turn. I'll play with them a little more but no problems so far. My seat is really comfortable too. I'll know more when I get to go on a long ride. See ya, Greg

520's DO have tension adjustment -- little allen screw behind cleat receiver -- start loose, tighten "1 click every 2 weeks until you get it where you like it. back 'em out if you go too far, no problem. i rode 520's for 1 1/2 years, and my daughter will be inheriting them (probably this year, the way she's growing). falling over clipped in is just something that happens. if you don't do it at least once, you're not pushing yourself. if you do it too many times, quit drinking.

When you DO fall over (and you will - ask me how I know :( ) and you inevitably put your hand out to break your fall, don't lock your elbow - leave it bent. Otherwise your fall might not be all you break. :eek:

If you jam your arm out hard you'll do what I did and break the scaphoid bone in your wrist which takes friggen ages to heal (mine's still an issue after 5 months) or - worse - your collar bone.

So learn from my stupidity and just kinda roll with it when you go. You'll pick up a few bruises, but that's all you'll get. I've tumbled off a couple of times since with nothing worse than a little lost skin and some sore spots for a couple of days. :rolleyes:

I still have my M520's set on the minimum release tension and have never had issues with my feet coming out unintentionally. I'd never go pack to regular pedals.

Way to go bro,
Soon it'll all be second nature cliping in and out.
and you'll be wondering what all the aprehension was about.
we all been there,:p
remember the most dificult place to unclip is when you are climbing a steep off road track climb,body position and angle of the bike make it dificult to unclip and you end up toppling sidways or backwards attached to your bike.ALWAYS TO THE AMUSMENT OF THE GUYS BEHIND YOU:D

Clipless pedals are the bees knees. I've run some 540's for the last six months and had no probs. I did nearly topple over the first few weeks, mostly because I forgot I was riding clipless. Even in these circumastances I was able to remove my foot before the bike hit the ground. I'd take care over the first week and keep the adjustment low. Since fitting my shimano 540's I have never had need to switch back to platform pedals.
I have hit a few unexpected bumps and obsticals(people realy should look before crossing the road) and recon the clipless pedal has helped keep my bike more stable and safe (for me at least) as it creates 2 more definate points of contcact between you and the bike.

In 15 years of using Shimano and, latterly, TIOGA clipless pedals, I've honed some useful skills. I habitually 'undock' when approaching traffic lights, and also when navigating heavy traffic. My foot (left) is still in contact with the pedal and cleat lock lightly, just that it isn't locked in to restrict a sudden necessary disengagement. I've never found it necessary to tighten up the locking force after the initial testing, even for heavy hill climbing with panniers (I pull up/push down). Now, a fall is likely if you're new to clipless and the locks are set too tight (as some Shimano models initially are). Get somebody to hold you up while you engage/disengage your supporting foot repeatedly, then loosen the locks and repeat until 'just right'. THEN, and ONLY THEN, ride on the road. Confidence and fluidity in one's ability to dock and undock—particularly in an emergency is paramount. Presently I'm using the excellent Shimano PDM424 MTB pedals. :)