New Sturmey-Archer ASC Three Speed Fixed Hub?

Sheldon Brown

Guest
Reportedly, SunRace/Sturmey-Archer is considering doing a new
production run of the ASC 3-speed fixed-gear hub, or an updated
version of it. Given SunRace's track record with Sturmey-Archer, I
would expect a new version to be more reliable than the original.

They're not certain about how much demand there might be for it
though. If this is something that would be of possible interest to
you, let them know by sending an email to:

info (at) sunraceusa.com

Sheldon "I Love My 1954 ASC" Brown
http://sheldonbrown.com/asc
| Love at its best means marriage, and it is |
| altogether the most beautiful thing in life |
| -- William Dean Howells |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
http://captainbike.com
Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
http://sheldonbrown.com

Sheldon Brown wrote:
> Reportedly, SunRace/Sturmey-Archer is considering doing a new
> production run of the ASC 3-speed fixed-gear hub, or an updated
> version of it. Given SunRace's track record with Sturmey-Archer, I
> would expect a new version to be more reliable than the original.

Why is everyone knocking the original? Those are what I grew up riding
and I never had one break, and I did 80 miles on some weekends.
Besides, the original Sturmey-Archer is long gone and lives on in name only.
Bill Baka

On Feb 28, 4:42 pm, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:
> Sheldon Brown wrote:
> > Reportedly, SunRace/Sturmey-Archer is considering doing a new
> > production run of the ASC 3-speed fixed-gear hub, or an updated
> > version of it. Given SunRace's track record with Sturmey-Archer, I
> > would expect a new version to be more reliable than the original.

> Why is everyone knocking the original? Those are what I grew up riding
> and I never had one break, and I did 80 miles on some weekends.
> Besides, the original Sturmey-Archer is long gone and lives on in name only.
> Bill Baka

You grew up with the 'fixed' version? They've always been rare from
what I've read. See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/asc.html, by the way.

Brian Huntley wrote:
> On Feb 28, 4:42 pm, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Sheldon Brown wrote:
>>> Reportedly, SunRace/Sturmey-Archer is considering doing a new
>>> production run of the ASC 3-speed fixed-gear hub, or an updated
>>> version of it. Given SunRace's track record with Sturmey-Archer, I
>>> would expect a new version to be more reliable than the original.

>> Why is everyone knocking the original? Those are what I grew up riding
>> and I never had one break, and I did 80 miles on some weekends.
>> Besides, the original Sturmey-Archer is long gone and lives on in name only.
>> Bill Baka

> You grew up with the 'fixed' version? They've always been rare from
> what I've read. See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/asc.html, by the way.

Not fixed. I meant the coaster brake kind. I mistook the fixed.
My bad.
Bill Baka

On Feb 28, 3:08 pm, "Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Reportedly, SunRace/Sturmey-Archer is considering doing a new
> production run of the ASC 3-speed fixed-gear hub, or an updated
> version of it. Given SunRace's track record with Sturmey-Archer, I
> would expect a new version to be more reliable than the original.
>
> They're not certain about how much demand there might be for it
> though. If this is something that would be of possible interest to
> you, let them know by sending an email to:
>
> info (at) sunraceusa.com
>
> Sheldon "I Love My 1954 ASC" Brownhttp://sheldonbrown.com/asc
> +------------------------------------------------+
> | Love at its best means marriage, and it is |
> | altogether the most beautiful thing in life |
> | -- William Dean Howells |
> +------------------------------------------------+
> Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
> Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
> http://harriscyclery.com
> Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
> http://captainbike.com
> Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
> http://sheldonbrown.com

Thanks for this information, Sheldon.

I am interested and have e-mailed them

Kind regards.

Lewis.

*****

On Mar 2, 7:43 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 28, 3:08 pm, "Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Reportedly, SunRace/Sturmey-Archer is considering doing a new
> > production run of the ASC 3-speed fixed-gear hub, or an updated
> > version of it. Given SunRace's track record with Sturmey-Archer, I
> > would expect a new version to be more reliable than the original.

> > They're not certain about how much demand there might be for it
> > though. If this is something that would be of possible interest to
> > you, let them know by sending an email to:

> > info (at) sunraceusa.com

> > Sheldon "I Love My 1954 ASC" Brownhttp://sheldonbrown.com/asc
> > +------------------------------------------------+
> > | Love at its best means marriage, and it is |
> > | altogether the most beautiful thing in life |
> > | -- William Dean Howells |
> > +------------------------------------------------+
> > Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
> > Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
> > http://harriscyclery.com
> > Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
> > http://captainbike.com
> > Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
> > http://sheldonbrown.com

> Thanks for this information, Sheldon.
>
> I am interested and have e-mailed them
>
> Kind regards.
>
> Lewis.
>
> *****

Good news here:-

"[email protected]"

Hello and thank you for contacting Sunrace Sturmey-Archer. We
appreciate your business and apologize for any delay in response time.
Currently we have only one person handling e-mail responses here in
the US and response time can take up to a week. Again thank you for
your patience and we will be sure to get back to you.

Sunrace Sturmey-Archer
<<<<

I'm excitedly awaiting their reply.

Lewis.

*****

On Feb 28, 1:08 pm, "Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Reportedly, SunRace/Sturmey-Archer is considering doing a new
> production run of the ASC 3-speed fixed-gear hub, or an updated
> version of it. Given SunRace's track record with Sturmey-Archer, I
> would expect a new version to be more reliable than the original.
>
> They're not certain about how much demand there might be for it
> though. If this is something that would be of possible interest to
> you, let them know by sending an email to:
>
> info (at) sunraceusa.com
>
> Sheldon "I Love My 1954 ASC" Brownhttp://sheldonbrown.com/asc
> +------------------------------------------------+
> | Love at its best means marriage, and it is |
> | altogether the most beautiful thing in life |
> | -- William Dean Howells |
> +------------------------------------------------+
> Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
> Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
> http://harriscyclery.com
> Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
> http://captainbike.com
> Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
> http://sheldonbrown.com

Hey, Sheldon: Thanks ever so much for posting all the manufacturing
historical data on your web page. It's helped me a lot.

I have a 1949 Raleigh Lenton Sports Tourist bicycle I bought at
Goodwill Industries in Seattle, WA. 9 years ago. I paid $15.00 for
it. It was and still is all there, but I've replaced the weathered
Brooks seat with a new front and rear coil suspension Brooks leather
saddle. I also had to replace the headbolt (w/Titanium, not
original). Too, the batwing handlebars were a replacement before I
acquired the bike. But, I like the looks of this handlebar pattern,
so it stays. This bike was innovative in its day -- I dare say "State
of the Art." It has its original Raleigh plastic fenders and Dunlop
light aluminimun rims, both quite forward thinking in 1949. I may
replace the fenders with a pair of steambent wooden fenders as the
original plastic pair have become quite brittle. True, they're not
historically accurate, but it's the out-of-the-ordinary look that I am
after. In fact, the front fender is just functional as about 5" of
the top of it has been broken away. Oh, and I'm going to rebuild
those wheels with some new stainless steel spokes. This bike will be
an eye-popper. In fact, it already is. People marvel at those old
wingnuts securing the axles to the forks.

I was saving this bike for my old age. But, having turned 61 y/o last
summer, I falsely justified the notion that now may be the time to
take this bike from my storeroom and give it the attention it
deserves. It's a blast to ride. And it's calorie burning effective.
Who gives a damn about riding efficiency when I can get more attention
from other modern equiped cyclists as they pass me riding this
classic. Many do more than a double-take. They frequently follow me.

So, here's to being at the front of the pack.

Bill Bacon, Seattle, Washington