New Sturmey-Archer Heritage Site

http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/detail.php?id=248

http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/photos/pic-248.5.jpg

>> So what is the link that brings up these JPG's from the historic
>> site?

> Begin from:

> http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/history.php

> and click on the 'detail' hyperlink next to the section of
> interest. Some contain links to pictures of the hubs in question,
> others to advertising material, yet others to manuals or sales
> documents. The above exploded view came from:

1958 Sections from Master Catalogue - complete book is 135 pages

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hadland/samaintind.htm

> I haven't had time to explore all of the links yet, but I haven't
> found detailed drawings of many of the hubs prior to the 1950s
> catalogue.

What got me going was that I was looking for an exploded view of the
SW hub in comparison to the AW. The AW is well covered in various
places but I could only one rendition of the SW, the "silent"
Sturmey-Archer hub. The exploded view is better than most of the
repeatedly toner copied ones listed. It is also not a hand annotated
version.

http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/history.php

Zooming in on this one reveals the details of the unusual silent
crescent moon shaped free floating pawls. It shows me that someone at
SA was sensitive to the ever present clicking of SA hubs (when not in
low gear). Unfortunately the ratchet was not reliable unless
carefully lubricated with light weight oil only.

Jobst Brandt

[email protected] writes:

> OK, take a look at this one, typical of those listed under history:
>
> http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/views/view-12.gif
>
> Tell me how sharp and clear this GIF shows up on your screen. These
> are the exploded views that interested me.

I can read all the text and see all the parts on my 12" iBook. It
looks fine to me, but then again I am not used to looking at AutoCAD
output all day long either. So my standards are probably much
different than yours.

FWIW I am using OS X 10.4.5 and Camino 1.0 on a late-2005 Apple
iBook.

<[email protected]> wrote:

> What got me going was that I was looking for an exploded view of the
> SW hub in comparison to the AW. The AW is well covered in various
> places but I could only one rendition of the SW, the "silent"
> Sturmey-Archer hub. The exploded view is better than most of the
> repeatedly toner copied ones listed. It is also not a hand annotated
> version.

I think I've solved the puzzle. The less-detailed drawings all appear to be
the work of the same illustrator, and have traits in common - lines that
should be parallel and circles that should be concentric are not;
annotations are made in a modern hand; teeth on sprockets aren't evenly
spaced; springs are represented by simple curly lines:

http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/views/view-10.gif

http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/views/view-25.gif

http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/views/view-32.gif

http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/views/view-36.gif

http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/views/view-49.gif

http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/views/view-135.gif

I'd guess they're sketches based either on original Sturmey documents, or
drawn from examples of actual hubs.

Now, this drawing, of a prototype XAG (an updated AG):

http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/views/view-141.gif

bears the traits of the other less-clear drawings on the site, and is
marked "(c) 2002 P.M. READ. (PHOENIX H.G.R.)".

Peter Read and Phoenix will be known to British hub gear fans as a source
of parts and servicing for older Sturmey hubs.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hadland/read_ad.htm

Peter Read of Phoenix Hub Gear Repairs has published a major new
edition of his book of exploded drawings of every Sturmey-Archer hub
ever produced. It comprises 400 A4 format pages, all in plastic wallets
to facilitate updating and incorporation of the reader's own notes. The
book is in a ring-binder, about 100mm thick, and weighs some 4kg.

So it looks as though Peter is the source of many of the illustrations on
the SA heritage site.

James Thomson

Tim McNamara writes:

>> OK, take a look at this one, typical of those listed under history:

http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/views/view-12.gif

>> Tell me how sharp and clear this GIF shows up on your screen.
>> These are the exploded views that interested me.

> I can read all the text and see all the parts on my 12" iBook. It
> looks fine to me, but then again I am not used to looking at AutoCAD
> output all day long either. So my standards are probably much
> different than yours.

I've got to admit that, being what seems to be a free hand drawing,
this is a great demonstration of technical artistry, but its
reproduction is as I said poorly and many generations of poor copying
down the way. The main isometric axis is not consistent for the many
parts (not) aligned on it. I suppose the originals were not available
so this will have to do. As you see the one for the SW hub is
slightly better:

http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/views/view-83.gif

> FWIW I am using OS X 10.4.5 and Camino 1.0 on a late-2005 Apple
> iBook.

That's not the problem. My viewer is just fine. Its the drawings
that are not. These exploded views is do not align on a common
isometric center line. The parts don't line up. From that I take it
they appear to be "paste-ups" of parts hand drawn by a technical
artist. How else would such a misalignment and all those wobbly
ellipses come to be?

Others have given URL's to modern SA exploded views that would do well
to have a link from this site or be a part of it.

Jobst Brandt

James Thomson writes:

>> What got me going was that I was looking for an exploded view of
>> the SW hub in comparison to the AW. The AW is well covered in
>> various places but I could only one rendition of the SW, the
>> "silent" Sturmey-Archer hub. The exploded view is better than most
>> of the repeatedly toner copied ones listed. It is also not a hand
>> annotated version.

> I think I've solved the puzzle. The less-detailed drawings all
> appear to be the work of the same illustrator, and have traits in
> common - lines that should be parallel and circles that should be
> concentric are not; annotations are made in a modern hand; teeth on
> sprockets aren't evenly spaced; springs are represented by simple
> curly lines:

> http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/views/view-10.gif

> http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/views/view-25.gif

> http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/views/view-32.gif

> http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/views/view-36.gif

> http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/views/view-49.gif

> http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/views/view-135.gif

> I'd guess they're sketches based either on original Sturmey
> documents, or drawn from examples of actual hubs.

> Now, this drawing, of a prototype XAG (an updated AG):

> http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/views/view-141.gif

> bears the traits of the other less-clear drawings on the site, and
> is marked "(c) 2002 P.M. READ. (PHOENIX H.G.R.)".

So what is everybody else looking at when they claim the drawings are
poor because I am using the wrong viewer? How is it that you can
recognize these sketchy, poorly reproduced drawings? Are you also
using a faulty viewer?

> Peter Read and Phoenix will be known to British hub gear fans as a
> source of parts and servicing for older Sturmey hubs.

> http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hadland/read_ad.htm

> Peter Read of Phoenix Hub Gear Repairs has published a major new
> edition of his book of exploded drawings of every Sturmey-Archer
> hub ever produced. It comprises 400 A4 format pages, all in
> plastic wallets to facilitate updating and incorporation of the
> reader's own notes. The book is in a ring-binder, about 100mm
> thick, and weighs some 4kg.

> So it looks as though Peter is the source of many of the
> illustrations on the SA heritage site.

That's too bad. I hope the pictures in that book are better than the
ones here. Someone should have given him a reasonable CAD system.
His visualizations are done with a keen eye but the renditions miss
the mark for making clear what is in these hubs for those interested
in the technical details.

Jobst Brandt