new suspension on hybrid bike

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Brentjames, Mar 8, 2003.

  1. Brentjames

    Brentjames Guest

    Hey just bought a second hand GT Palomar hybrid and would like to know if its possible to fit it
    with some suspension in the future. The frame is in good condition and aside from cleaning,
    tuning and some work on the brakes it was a good purchase. Any suggestions would help because
    every time I go to my local bike shop I feel like I'm always getting pushed towards the most
    expensive kit. Cheers, B

    Tags:

  2. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    BrentJames wrote:
    > Hey just bought a second hand GT Palomar hybrid and would like to know if its possible to fit it
    > with some suspension in the future. The frame is in good condition and aside from cleaning, tuning
    > and some work on the brakes it was a good purchase. Any suggestions would help because every time
    > I go to my local bike shop I feel like I'm always getting pushed towards the most expensive kit.
    > Cheers, B

    Don't bother. Several years back I bought myself a hybrid, thinking to get the best of both
    worlds. Instead I got a beast that was neither fish nor fowl, and I honestly didn't see the
    appeal of off-road riding until I had a chance to try it on a proper mountain bike. The
    geometry of the hybrid was just all wrong, and it was nothing that could have been fixed
    with a new fork, a suspension seatpost, or anything else short of an act of god. It may be
    true that your LBS staffers are pushing the most expensive gear, but in this case, why throw
    good money after bad? Put a suspension fork on a hybrid and you still haven't got a bike
    that even approximates a decent entry level mountain bike. Save your hybrid for an around
    town beater/touring bike, and keep your eyes peeled for a deal on a new or lightly used
    front suspension mountain bike.

    Kathleen