New SWB High BB vs GRR

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Stratrider, Jun 2, 2003.

  1. Stratrider

    Stratrider Guest

    First let me say that I want a GRR! It's the $3k that's killing me! So perhaps in search of
    justification, let me ask the following question. As recumbent design continues to evolve toward
    swb, higher bb bikes, why do I read that these new designs are often rated by their owners as almost
    as fast as a GRR. And with that in mind, why don't we see more aluminum recumbents?

    Jim Reilly Reading, PA

    Tags:

  2. There have been two slightly used GRRs listed in the recumbent classifieds in the last few days. One
    was sold within a few hours. Both were very well equipped and listed for at least $1000 less than
    the "new Bike' price. You might want to look into a slightly used GRR.

    --
    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "stratrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > First let me say that I want a GRR! It's the $3k that's killing me! So perhaps in search of
    > justification, let me ask the following question. As recumbent design continues to evolve toward
    > swb, higher bb bikes, why do I read that these new designs are often rated by their owners as
    > almost as fast as a GRR. And with that in mind, why don't we see more aluminum recumbents?
    >
    > Jim Reilly Reading, PA

  3. Pj

    Pj Guest

    [email protected] (stratrider) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > First let me say that I want a GRR! It's the $3k that's killing me! So perhaps in search of
    > justification, let me ask the following question. As recumbent design continues to evolve toward
    > swb, higher bb bikes, why do I read that these new designs are often rated by their owners as
    > almost as fast as a GRR. And with that in mind, why don't we see more aluminum recumbents?
    >
    > Jim Reilly Reading, PA

    Jim

    Actually I think you will find some fans of the more contemporary swb bikes to claim that they are
    faster than the the GRR not merely as fast. Not being a LWB fan myself, I can't say. There are
    certainly more than a few GRR owners that have switched to the Aero/Corsa/Strada camp, witht the
    idea that shedding in the neighborhood of ten pounds will make a substantial difference. However I
    really think that it is more a question of the riding experience and the terrain that you ride in,
    rather than that one type is substantially faster the other. In other words the difference may not
    be that much to prompt you to pick one over the other from a speed perspective, but rather how they
    ride and handle is the more substantial difference between say a GRR and an Aero/Strada/Corsa etc.

    Pat

  4. Cbb

    Cbb Guest

    The GRR is often used as a standard because it is a classic bike that many recumbent riders are
    familar with. I think most prople will be faster on a Corsa or Aero than a GRR (unless body socked)
    however not as many people are comfortable or fit on a big wheel bike with high BB. BROL recently
    had a thread about aluminum bents, summary:
    1. there are quite a few,
    2. there doesn't appear to be a huge advantage for most designs.
    3. It can be more difficult for low volume production than steel I perfer a high BB bike and mine is
    Al. Craig Optima Baron

    [email protected] (stratrider) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > First let me say that I want a GRR! It's the $3k that's killing me! So perhaps in search of
    > justification, let me ask the following question. As recumbent design continues to evolve toward
    > swb, higher bb bikes, why do I read that these new designs are often rated by their owners as
    > almost as fast as a GRR. And with that in mind, why don't we see more aluminum recumbents?
    >
    > Jim Reilly Reading, PA

  5. PJ and cbb, I gotta agree with your comments, not much to add. However, Some can not handle the new
    generation of high BB bents. So there is the old speedy standby TE/GRR family.

    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "cbb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The GRR is often used as a standard because it is a classic bike that many recumbent riders are
    > familar with. I think most prople will be faster on a Corsa or Aero than a GRR (unless body
    > socked) however not as many people are comfortable or fit on a big wheel bike with high BB. BROL
    > recently had a thread about aluminum bents, summary:
    > 1. there are quite a few,
    > 2. there doesn't appear to be a huge advantage for most designs.
    > 3. It can be more difficult for low volume production than steel I perfer a high BB bike and mine
    > is Al. Craig Optima Baron
    >
    > [email protected] (stratrider) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > First let me say that I want a GRR! It's the $3k that's killing me! So perhaps in search of
    > > justification, let me ask the following question. As recumbent design continues to evolve toward
    > > swb, higher bb bikes, why do I read that these new designs are often rated by their owners as
    > > almost as fast as a GRR. And with that in mind, why don't we see more aluminum recumbents?
    > >
    > > Jim Reilly Reading, PA

  6. Right you are Jude! BUT, I for one am looking forward to my Aero, just on the sheer weight
    reduction, being able to forgo the geeky small front tire syndrome and the losing of the beach chair
    stigma, that goes along with it. The Bacchetta bikes in general define what a REAL, no nonsense GO
    FAST, performance recumbent is all about. (Mind you, this IMHO) BUT (Again?) I'm still a Happy GRR
    Ti owner and NEVER Plan to part with my GRR Ti.

    EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

    "Jude T. McGloin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > PJ and cbb, I gotta agree with your comments, not much to add. However, Some can not handle the
    > new generation of high BB bents. So there is the old speedy standby TE/GRR family.

  7. EZ, Where is your AERO? I would have thought you would have had it by now?

    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "EZ Biker :)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Right you are Jude! BUT, I for one am looking forward to my Aero, just on the sheer weight
    > reduction, being able to forgo the geeky small front tire syndrome and the losing of the beach
    > chair stigma, that goes along with
    it.
    > The Bacchetta bikes in general define what a REAL, no nonsense GO FAST, performance recumbent is
    > all about. (Mind you, this IMHO) BUT (Again?) I'm still a Happy GRR Ti owner and NEVER Plan to
    > part with my GRR Ti.
    >
    > EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)
    >

    > "Jude T. McGloin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > PJ and cbb, I gotta agree with your comments, not much to add. However, Some
    can
    > > not handle the new generation of high BB bents. So there is the old
    speedy
    > > standby TE/GRR family.

  8. Hey Jude! WELL, I had to delay my Aero order due to a minor dental detail. Now that I get to keep my
    original teeth awhile longer, I'm close to re-establishing my order and am looking forward to
    joining the Killer B hive, sometime HOPEFULLY this summer. EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti
    and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

    "Jude T. McGloin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > EZ, Where is your AERO? I would have thought you would have had it by now?

  9. Geta move on. Who needs teeth anyway? On second thought they do filter out bugs. The rain here has
    been killing me. I rode in today. It wasn't raining, at least till noon. I put a SRAM XO kit on the
    AERO can't tell much difference from the Shimano stuff. The price of the XO deraileur will hurt you,
    but it is lite and looks cool. Thinking about one of those new "vented" CF forks. Gotta keep up my
    image. Jude..So outta shape I 've become a "Gram Cracker"
    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "EZ Biker :)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey Jude! WELL, I had to delay my Aero order due to a minor dental detail. Now that I get to keep
    > my original teeth awhile longer, I'm close to re-establishing my order and am looking forward to
    > joining the Killer B hive, sometime HOPEFULLY this summer. EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti
    > and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)
    >

    > "Jude T. McGloin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > EZ, Where is your AERO? I would have thought you would have had it by
    now?

  10. LOL, Good response Jude! Yea, I just don't want to be called the toothless Killer B, down here in
    So. Fla. Killer B territory! The XO derailleur system sounds really interesting. As for the RAIN, we
    had our share last week! NOW what's this "vented CF forks" item??? (Some kind of new eating
    utensil?) <Grin> EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

    "Jude T. McGloin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Geta move on. Who needs teeth anyway? On second thought they do
    filter
    > out bugs.

  11. Cbb

    Cbb Guest

    Personally I'm a fan of lower is faster hence my Baron but the new big wheel high racers are pretty
    nice, lighter weight, perhaps smoother ride but less aero than the low bikes. Plus tail fairing
    works so nice on a lowracer. Craig Optima Baron

    "EZ Biker :-\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Right you are Jude! BUT, I for one am looking forward to my Aero, just on the sheer weight
    > reduction, being able to forgo the geeky small front tire syndrome and the losing of the beach
    > chair stigma, that goes along with it. The Bacchetta bikes in general define what a REAL, no
    > nonsense GO FAST, performance recumbent is all about. (Mind you, this IMHO) BUT (Again?) I'm still
    > a Happy GRR Ti owner and NEVER Plan to part with my GRR Ti.
    >
    > EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)
    >

    > "Jude T. McGloin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > PJ and cbb, I gotta agree with your comments, not much to add. However, Some can not handle the
    > > new generation of high BB bents. So there is the old speedy standby TE/GRR family.

  12. EZ, The fork is quite pricy. I'll tell ya the wholesale price makes me shy away. Its supposed to
    create less turbulence and there is a time trial gain claim. I though about it, but new Zipps or
    other wheelset in the 13/1400 gram pair area would be nice. Bug filter...How about a Hannibal
    Lechter bite guard with mosquito mesh added.