New Tech at the Tour

Travis44

Jul 28, 2007
I've noticed several things about the new tech the riders where using on the 1st stage. First of all I noticed the new Bell sweep (name not yet announced I guess) on the heads of CSC and Credit-Agricole riders. Also I noticed Joost Posthuma of Rabobank taking pulls with the Shimano electronic drivetrain, plus riders with components that look like the new Dura-Ace 7900 for 2009. Plus the new Campagnolo Super-Record 11 speed components. Anyone else see anything interesting?

I did notice that Posthumas levers were metal, not carbon. Didn't really notice if they were the electronic version

classic1 said:
I did notice that Posthumas levers were metal, not carbon. Didn't really notice if they were the electronic version
Hmmm must be something about our broadcast being only in 576p, hard to judge such tiny differences.

classic1 said:
True story... dunno how the **** you can tell the difference between DA 7900, Campag 11 speed, Electric DA (Di2) or the supposedly new Bell Sweep R that a few teams are running at such low resolution. Only because SBS decide to multi-channel their digital TV vs a proper HD feed.

Well I've known that bell would premier their new sweep because they said they'd do it in the tech issue in VeloNews. Looking at it again, I'm pretty sure it was the elcetronic, because they looked like the same silver, but much taller. Also some teams are using the "old" dura-ace and the new, which is confusing. With Campy it still looks like everyone is using record but apparently (according to velonews.com) McEwen is forgoing the use of an 11-speed and he's riding a 10-speed with 2009 centaur levers, weird. So I guess Silence-Lotto is using Super-Record?

Apparently seven riders are riding with 11 speed, including Voeckler and Ballan.

Thanks weightweenies.

Malkmus said:
Yep. The new Campy is special. It goes to 11.
Don't forget all the carbon bits. And in about 1~2 years most of us will be riding 11 speed too... saying we have no need for the rumoured 12 speed... :eek:

Powerful Pete said:
Don't forget all the carbon bits. And in about 1~2 years most of us will be riding 11 speed too... saying we have no need for the rumoured 12 speed... :eek:
PP, you will be riding 11 speed. I doubt the "most of us" part. ;) I still ride an 8 speed, but then I'm just a recreational rider.

TheDarkLord said:
PP, you will be riding 11 speed. I doubt the "most of us" part. ;) I still ride an 8 speed, but then I'm just a recreational rider.
I do indeed hope so. I know, I know. I don't need it. But, no, actually I do. But I draw the line at Record. The new Super Record is just a bit too excessive. Not that that means that Record is not excessive... just less so. Or should I say justifiably so?

But Super Record brings back beautiful memories from my Atala Professional days. Oh well.

For the record, I don't think I will get 11 speed this year. Next year probably. I admit it. :eek:

And I am just a recreational rider too...