Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

New Technology and Vintage

Started by ddallam · · Last activity · 2 posts · 1,226 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
5 October 2003
Last activity
5 October 2003
Original author
ddallam
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,226
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. First post on the forum. I was a serious triathlete in the 80's and have resumed riding after a bit of a long hiatus. I dusted off my 61cm 1983 Trek 970 (Columbus SP, all Super Record, tubulars), which is in excellent condition. I have been putting on some serious miles and have been lurking on the forum for a while. Here's my question.

    I'm riding all classic vintage stuff in great condition. I also want to buy a second bike with the most current technology. I've been away for a while, and would love to have a few of you input on the improvements that have been made since the 80's. What is the best stuff TODAY for a 6'2" 225lb. cyclist? Where and how have the changes been made? What's worth paying for, compared with what I'm already riding?

    I live 50 miles from Richard Sachs' place. Hmmmm.

    Thanks for your thoughts. See you out there.

    Dave Dallam

  2. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by ddallam
    First post on the forum. I was a serious triathlete in the 80's and have resumed riding after a bit of a long hiatus. I dusted off my 61cm 1983 Trek 970 (Columbus SP, all Super Record, tubulars), which is in excellent condition. I have been putting on some serious miles and have been lurking on the forum for a while. Here's my question.

    I'm riding all classic vintage stuff in great condition. I also want to buy a second bike with the most current technology. I've been away for a while, and would love to have a few of you input on the improvements that have been made since the 80's. What is the best stuff TODAY for a 6'2" 225lb. cyclist? Where and how have the changes been made? What's worth paying for, compared with what I'm already riding?

    I live 50 miles from Richard Sachs' place. Hmmmm.

    Thanks for your thoughts. See you out there.

    Dave Dallam

    Hi Dave, I too just got back into the riding game after about 14-15 years, my current bike is a Cannondale with all C Record and Super Record, and the biggest changes I've found are:
    1. Indexed shifting, when I was ridng alot it had just started but it is real now.
    2. Wheels and spoke technology, lighter stronger.
    3. Frame weights, High end bikes from the 80's were in the 19-20lb. area now 15-18lbs seems to be the norm. almost everything is Aluminum or Al and Carbon fiber.
    I just purchased my new ride a Coppi KSC, it's Al with CF seat stays and fork. It'll end up weighing in the 15-16lb range. I can't wait for my first ride on this thing with the weather we're having it might not be for a week or so though, I'm also doing the build up of it. By the way are you in CT also? I would guess I'm also about 50 or so miles from Sachs. He is one of the few builders still building in Cro-Mo and he deisgns his own lugs.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.