New tire recommendations, please.

Tom The Great

Guest
Hello Everone,

I have a rear tire wearing out fast. I'm looking for a replacement,
I've been recommended Kenda Nevegal's, can anyone comment or recommend
another tire model?

thanks,

tom

Tom The Great wrote:
> Hello Everone,
>
> I have a rear tire wearing out fast. I'm looking for a replacement,
> I've been recommended Kenda Nevegal's, can anyone comment or recommend
> another tire model?
>
> thanks,
>
> tom

I'd love to comment, but would need to know what you ride, how you
ride, and what's the terrain like.

I happen to love the 2.35 Nevegal non-stickee as a rear tire. Not the
lightest (but not that heavy, either in folding), nor the cheapest, nor
the least rolling resistance, but for aggressive cross country riding
where the integrity of your limbs depends on your tire hooking up and
holding on, for me there's nothing better I've found yet. I've got a
thing going with a local pro named Flip where he and I are constantly
trying new tires and comparing notes, he on his 575 and me on the
Blade. We both kinda simultaneously settled on the Nevegal Rr and Blue
Groove front. YMMV

But our terrain, bikes and style could well be waaay different from
yours.... high desert hardpack, decomposed granite, and dry forest
loam.

CDB

Tom The Great wrote:
> Hello Everone,
>
> I have a rear tire wearing out fast. I'm looking for a replacement,
> I've been recommended Kenda Nevegal's, can anyone comment or recommend
> another tire model?

For the rear I'll use anything with knobs in a large enough size that I
won't pinch flat at 45 psi and up. Currently a Kenda Kinetics Stick-E
2.35. It doesn't have as much stopping power as a Motoraptor 2.4 but it
was significantly cheaper. On the front I always come back to the
Motoraptor 2.4. This is in SoCal terrain that varies from skittish dg
covered hardpack to sand to loamy forest stuff.

Greg

Paladin wrote:
> Tom The Great wrote:
>
>>Hello Everone,
>>
>>I have a rear tire wearing out fast. I'm looking for a replacement,
>>I've been recommended Kenda Nevegal's, can anyone comment or recommend
>>another tire model?
>>
>>thanks,
>>
>>tom

> I'd love to comment, but would need to know what you ride, how you
> ride, and what's the terrain like.
>
> I happen to love the 2.35 Nevegal non-stickee as a rear tire. Not the
> lightest (but not that heavy, either in folding), nor the cheapest, nor
> the least rolling resistance, but for aggressive cross country riding
> where the integrity of your limbs depends on your tire hooking up and
> holding on, for me there's nothing better I've found yet. I've got a
> thing going with a local pro named Flip where he and I are constantly
> trying new tires and comparing notes, he on his 575 and me on the
> Blade. We both kinda simultaneously settled on the Nevegal Rr and Blue
> Groove front. YMMV
>
> But our terrain, bikes and style could well be waaay different from
> yours.... high desert hardpack, decomposed granite, and dry forest
> loam.
>
> CDB

For similar conditions I've been enjoying a Klein Deathgrip 2.35 on the
front of my SS. It really seems to hook up nicely and still rolls well too.

Matt

I'm not sure about the rear-specific slant of your question, but I have a
couple of recommendations for all-around XC tires - these may or may not
suit your riding venue or style.

My wife uses Panaracer Fire XC's, and I use WTB Wierwolves. I would
classify both as general XC tires with a pretty durable compound. No big
paddles or large knobbies, so they suit summer Oregon riding pretty well.
They seem to like hard pack and fir needle trails just fine, and are decent
for rocks and roots until they get slick.

Not sure what I'll put on when the rains hit. I like the way these tires
handle on the front, maybe I'll just add something with more ooomph on the
rear.

Gary

news:[email protected]...

In the previous article, Tom The Great <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a rear tire wearing out fast. I'm looking for a replacement,
> I've been recommended Kenda Nevegal's, can anyone comment or
> recommend another tire model?

I have heard good things about the Nevegals.

My new bike came with Bontrager Jones ACX 2.2 tires, front and rear.
They're OK in general, but I miss the WTB Velociraptors that were on
my old bike when it was stolen. They were great for climbing in loose
dirt, which is a situation in which I find myself fairly often. I
will probably replace the Bontrager tires in the spring, though with
what I have no idea. Nevegals, maybe.

For riding out west, I have a set of Specialized Crossroads EX tires.
They're good in the loose dirt and hard-pack, and absolutely awesome
on slick rock, thanks to a continuous tread line in the center of the
tire -- next best thing to having slicks. Thanks to that same tread,
I kicked ass on the few occasions when we found ourselves on the roads
out there, too.
--
_+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
_|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also

Tom The Grape wrote:
> Hello Everone,
>
> I have a rear tire wearing out fast. I'm looking for a replacement,
> I've been recommended Kenda Nevegal's, can anyone comment or recommend
> another tire model?
>
> thanks,
>
> tom

Your question can not be answered accurately without knowing several
details you have omitted.

JD

On 5 Oct 2006 21:09:51 -0700, "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Tom The Great wrote:
>> Hello Everone,
>>
>> I have a rear tire wearing out fast. I'm looking for a replacement,
>> I've been recommended Kenda Nevegal's, can anyone comment or recommend
>> another tire model?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> tom

>I'd love to comment, but would need to know what you ride, how you
>ride, and what's the terrain like.
>
>I happen to love the 2.35 Nevegal non-stickee as a rear tire. Not the
>lightest (but not that heavy, either in folding), nor the cheapest, nor
>the least rolling resistance, but for aggressive cross country riding
>where the integrity of your limbs depends on your tire hooking up and
>holding on, for me there's nothing better I've found yet. I've got a
>thing going with a local pro named Flip where he and I are constantly
>trying new tires and comparing notes, he on his 575 and me on the
>Blade. We both kinda simultaneously settled on the Nevegal Rr and Blue
>Groove front. YMMV
>
>But our terrain, bikes and style could well be waaay different from
>yours.... high desert hardpack, decomposed granite, and dry forest
>loam.
>
>CDB

Thanks for all the great replies, here is a follow up:

I ride in woods, typcially muddy, with rock gardens, with a hard tail.
tom

Tom The Great wrote:
> On 5 Oct 2006 21:09:51 -0700, "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >Tom The Great wrote:
> >> Hello Everone,
> >>
> >> I have a rear tire wearing out fast. I'm looking for a replacement,
> >> I've been recommended Kenda Nevegal's, can anyone comment or recommend
> >> another tire model?
> >>
> >> thanks,
> >>
> >> tom

> >I'd love to comment, but would need to know what you ride, how you
> >ride, and what's the terrain like.
> >
> >I happen to love the 2.35 Nevegal non-stickee as a rear tire. Not the
> >lightest (but not that heavy, either in folding), nor the cheapest, nor
> >the least rolling resistance, but for aggressive cross country riding
> >where the integrity of your limbs depends on your tire hooking up and
> >holding on, for me there's nothing better I've found yet. I've got a
> >thing going with a local pro named Flip where he and I are constantly
> >trying new tires and comparing notes, he on his 575 and me on the
> >Blade. We both kinda simultaneously settled on the Nevegal Rr and Blue
> >Groove front. YMMV
> >
> >But our terrain, bikes and style could well be waaay different from
> >yours.... high desert hardpack, decomposed granite, and dry forest
> >loam.
> >
> >CDB

> Thanks for all the great replies, here is a follow up:
>
> I ride in woods, typcially muddy, with rock gardens, with a hard tail.
> tom

Continental Diesel up front and Gravity in the back.

JD