New tires. Panaracer Cinder? Fire FR? Conti Gravity Pro?

David

Guest
I've been riding Conti Verical Pro 2.3 tires for awhile and liked 'em enough until
they started to wear out. It seems there are lots of new choices on the market now.
Do y'all have any opinions on any of the above tires. I want something for all conditions.
Mostly dry though, very little mud. I'd be happy with another set of Vert Pros, but
I'd prefer to try something new.

Carla A-G

Guest
"David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I've been riding Conti Verical Pro 2.3 tires for awhile and liked 'em

enough until
> they started to wear out. It seems there are lots of new choices on the

market now.
> Do y'all have any opinions on any of the above tires. I want something

for all conditions.
> Mostly dry though, very little mud. I'd be happy with another set of Vert

Pros, but
> I'd prefer to try something new.

Panaracer Fire XC Pro's (the high TPI version).

That's my fave all-around tire.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Ride-A-Lot

Guest
Carla A-G wrote:
> "David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
>>I've been riding Conti Verical Pro 2.3 tires for awhile and liked 'em

> enough until
>
>>they started to wear out. It seems there are lots of new choices on the

> market now.
>
>>Do y'all have any opinions on any of the above tires. I want something

> for all conditions.
>
>>Mostly dry though, very little mud. I'd be happy with another set of Vert

> Pros, but
>
>>I'd prefer to try something new.

> Panaracer Fire XC Pro's (the high TPI version).
>
> That's my fave all-around tire.
>
> - CA-G
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Ditto the above, although I use contis on my ID and like them too, but
there wider anyway.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Monique Y. Mudama

Guest
On 2004-08-20, Carla A-G penned:

> Panaracer Fire XC Pro's (the high TPI version).
>
> That's my fave all-around tire.

What does TPI mean?

Btw, I saw your post about getting motorcycles, but I lost it in the
clutter before I had a chance to respond. Congrats!

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain

Sunastar

Guest
Monique sez:

>What does TPI mean?

Threads Per Inch. In this case it refers to the thread count (density,
as it were) in the sidewalls. It makes for stiffer sidewalls. A good
thing.

At least this is my take on it. And as Carla sez, the Panaracer XCs are
sweet tyres.

--
T o m Dillon
Lakewood, CO

Sunastar

Guest
I sez:

>And as Carla sez, the Panaracer XCs are sweet tyres.

Uh, I meant to say Panaracer Fire XC Pro, of Ulm. You can find the 127
tpi version for around $22 online if you look.

--
T o m Dillon
Lakewood, CO

Zilla

Guest
Monique Y. Mudama <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 2004-08-20, Carla A-G penned:
>>
>> Panaracer Fire XC Pro's (the high TPI version).
>>
>> That's my fave all-around tire.

> What does TPI mean?
>
> Btw, I saw your post about getting motorcycles, but I lost it in the
> clutter before I had a chance to respond. Congrats!
>
> --
> monique
>
> "Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
> -- Mark Twain

Threads per inch. Similar to thread count for sheets
and linen - the more the better the material.

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

JD

Guest
"David" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I've been riding Conti Verical Pro 2.3 tires for awhile and liked 'em enough until
> they started to wear out. It seems there are lots of new choices on the market now.
> Do y'all have any opinions on any of the above tires. I want something for all conditions.
> Mostly dry though, very little mud. I'd be happy with another set of Vert Pros, but
> I'd prefer to try something new.

The Continental Gravity tires work really well in the hardpack
compared to the Verticals. They are not nearly as squirrely. I'm
trying the Diesel now as a front with a Gravity in the back on two of
my bike and have no complaints yet. Then again, where you live, what
you weigh, how you ride, what you ride and how much you weigh are all
important factors in buying tires.

JD

Peter Bargewell

Guest
Hi

Ive just replaced my contis with cindercones. They seem to be much more
susceptible to snakebites as well as peeling off the tire at their low
pressure limit on slick rock( pain blood swearing) also Ive blown 2 tubes
while inflating these. Grip and mud clearance has been fine however.

"JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> The Continental Gravity tires work really well in the hardpack
> compared to the Verticals. They are not nearly as squirrely.

I didn't remember the squirleyness from the past, so I thought it was
more of a these-have-worn-out issue.

> I'm
> trying the Diesel now as a front with a Gravity in the back on two of
> my bike and have no complaints yet.

Thx!

> Then again, where you live, what
> you weigh, how you ride, what you ride

Sort of a freride hardtail, for mostly fireroad riding. It's a handful on fast singletrack,
but it's what I have, and it's fine elsewhere. Also with the slack steering, while I
like fattish tires (and I suspect my frame and fork can each do 2.5"), not interested
in any combinations that put a fatter tire in front (don't want the steering even slacker).

> and how much you weigh

On the light side. Still like fattish tires though (like the Vert Pro 2.3s I'm
replacing).

I expect I'd like all of the tires I listed (except I expect to Fire FR to be a pig
on the road).