New tires - what to expect

MrCjolsen

Jun 20, 2004
I just dropped $65 on some Conti gatorskins to replace my Bontrager Selects. The old tires were 700x28 and the new ones are 700x23.

Will they improve my ride? The weather here is pretty crappy, so it may be a while before I ride again.

MrCjolsen said:
I just dropped $65 on some Conti gatorskins to replace my Bontrager Selects. The old tires were 700x28 and the new ones are 700x23.

Will they improve my ride? The weather here is pretty crappy, so it may be a while before I ride again.

Why did you go down in size?
The Conti Gatorskins in X23 will ride harder and might even have slightly higher rolling resistance. They won't protect the rims as well either.

daveornee said:
Why did you go down in size?
The Conti Gatorskins in X23 will ride harder and might even have slightly higher rolling resistance. They won't protect the rims as well either.

Based on your advice, I took back the 23's and got 25's. When I measured the circumference of the 23's they were the same measurement that my instructions for my computer said to use for 20's. I also read somewhere that conti's ran small on sizes. I thought that only happened with shoes.

I went to a smaller size because there were clearance issues with the 28's.

Thanks.