new tires, which is good better best.

W

waterskiing greg

Hello Riders,

I just put a new pair of 700x25 tires on my lemond. I bought the Continental Ultra Sport.
I was a bit short on money and went for wire bead tires. I was under the impression that
the kevlar tire was a much better tire and easier to install. I don't know. I have been riding
long time and my only pair of kevlar bead tires was my last pair, they were Hutchinson Carbon Comp 700/23, they had a red stripe. Anyway, The new Continental Ultras seem to have that feel like they want to go.
I just want to let you know that the Hutchinson Carbon Comps, I had my share of flats. First day I ran over a 1 inch pine cone and it punctured the tube and ripped the sidewall, and I put a patch to cover the rip. I have had more flats on these tires, than any other pair of tires.
My bike came stock with IRC Red Storm 700/25 wire bead, and I liked those tires very much but I guess people and I myself have to try them all to find out which brand they like/prefer
These new Continental Ultra Sport seem to have a good rolling factor. These tires they just feel good.

I've used the Continentals (formerly Super Sport Ultras, now called the Ultra 2000) for much of the last 13 years or so... used to use their Grand Prix, but went to the Ultras after I had too many sidewall flats. I've recently been using the Hutchinsons you've described, as Performance has been selling them cheap. I've also used Vredesteins of various types, but mostly I've been using the Continentals.

I've recently moved to an area where the roads aren't as pristine as where I used to ride, and I've had many flats with the Hutchinsons and Vredesteins, although the Vredesteins are probably a tire you'd want to use for racing rather than training on roads with lots of debris. I really thought the Hutchinson's would be a lot better tire for flat resistance, tho'.

The Continentals Ultras have always been great for flat resistance, although they're a little heavier than the others. The Kevlar bead as opposed to the wire is just a weight factor; nothing else that I'm aware of. The Conti's are a great training tire. I like the way they corner- they really hold well. On the Hutchinson's I could hear a little tread noise as I got to the edge of traction, which didn't give me much confidence to push it any further.
"waterskiing greg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
Hello Riders,

I just put a new pair of 700x25 tires on my lemond. I bought the Continental Ultra Sport.
I was a bit short on money and went for wire bead tires. I was under the impression that
the kevlar tire was a much better tire and easier to install. I don't know. I have been riding
long time and my only pair of kevlar bead tires was my last pair, they were Hutchinson Carbon Comp 700/23, they had a red stripe. Anyway, The new Continental Ultras seem to have that feel like they want to go.
I just want to let you know that the Hutchinson Carbon Comps, I had my share of flats. First day I ran over a 1 inch pine cone and it punctured the tube and ripped the sidewall, and I put a patch to cover the rip. I have had more flats on these tires, than any other pair of tires.
My bike came stock with IRC Red Storm 700/25 wire bead, and I liked those tires very much but I guess people and I myself have to try them all to find out which brand they like/prefer
These new Continental Ultra Sport seem to have a good rolling factor. These tires they just feel good.