New Tires

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Sublime99, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Sublime99

Sublime99 New Member

I have 28/700c (i think that is what it says on the wheel) Max psi is 100. What is the differences in psi ratings? What is a good all around tire that is puncture resistant? I am going to be going to my lbs to purchase new tires the guy there was showing me continental tires when i was up there. I want something that will last a while and will resist punctures well. I weigh 270 down from 284 at the start about 1 month ago.

Tags:

2. dhk

dhk New Member

100 psi rating should be plenty in a 28mm. Conti makes great tires, IMO. Sounds like just what you need; heavy duty and long wearing. Maybe not the cheapest choice, but the good stuff seldom is.

3. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius New Member

Something to consider is that a Continental that is 700x28 is about the same as a standard tire that is 700x25/26. I bough several pair of 700x25 & 700x28 Conti Ultra 2000's on sale and the 25 is about the same width as my Specialized Turbo Sport 23 and the Conti 28 is about the same size as my Specialized Multi Condition Sport 26. I don't think it'll cause any problems though. I'm 250 and have been riding 700x23 tires for a while now.

Conti's are good tires though, as DHK stated.

4. PeterF

PeterF New Member

I go about 230 and I have ridden 3000 miles this year and only had one flat on my Hutchinson Fusions (23mm). Conti's are nice too as are Michelins. I happen to prefer the Hutchinsons (the right amount of grip/rolling resistance to suit my riding). I run about 120-125 psi, but I don't check them every day. Usually when I pump them up at the start of each week. they're down to 100. I don't notice much of a difference to be honest. BTW, I'm on my original front and my second rear tire.

5. 3_days

3_days New Member

I just grabbed a set of Michelin Carbons - not as fast as some but with added puncture resistance, they seem nice enough so far.

6. Adam-from-SLO

Adam-from-SLO New Member

Not sure what you intend on using your tires for(racing.. or good ol' physical exercise) , but I'd recommend the Specialized Armadillo's- for rear use.. since they seem to resist punctures well(which 90+ % of the time happen on your rear tire) . On the front , I'd recommend something high performance-GREAT Corniering ability.. low rolling resistance. A Veloflex , Conti. GP 3000 , Hutchinson, or possibly a high end Vittoria.

Hope this helps.

7. Sublime99

Sublime99 New Member

I ended up getting stelvio kevlar bead tires, and instead of 28's i purchased 25's. I haven't had the chance to ride them more than a couple of 5 miles but i like them so far. I ended up paying about 76.00 for the pair. i also got a new bell helmet http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/productDetail.asp?prodID=5It says mountain but i bought it because i like the fit and feel, plus it has a little roller thing on the back to snug up the fit.

8. domaindomain

domaindomain New Member

I would say 23s would be OK for you too, inflated at 100 - 110 psi.

Conti do some nice ones, like the GP3000 for instance and Vittoria do some real nice ones, like the Open Corsa KX

But the ones you went for are a mighty fine tyre too - enjoy riding them!

Cheers

9. Sublime99

Sublime99 New Member

I love the new tires, and i don't know if i am getting faster or if it was the new tires. I went from 28's to 25's and my average speed throughout the ride was 2 mph faster than my usual.