New to Bicycling with Health problems

simmins5467

Sep 18, 2012
Hey, I'm new to cycling, the only experience I have is with department store bikes. So After getting more active due to health problems forcing me to take a more pro active stance on my activity I need some advice on getting a bike.

I have been reading a lot about biking but am still pretty confused as to what I need to look for. I am going to local bike shops, but since I really don't know what I am doing I feel apprehensive about asking about a certain bike.

I'm 24, 5'4 (Short) and 145lbs. I have been biking on a department store Schwinn(not a real Schwinn I know, also I'm not fitted to any box bike at all I'm to short.). I want to do more than ride to the store, I want to take small road trips, nothing more than a day (due to health reasons I can't leave town for more than 24 hours.)

I am training for a century right now but my bike is having trouble keeping my desired pace.

So here are my choices based on reviews I have read in no particular order, my budget is probably $1,400 max.

I am looking for an endurance bike because I'm not going to run any races but I still want the option in the future, also I'm in the pacific northwest so it's varied elevation around my area and it gets cold and rains allot, but I plan to bike in all conditions.

Felt Z85
Raleigh Revenio 2.0
Trek 1.5
CAAD 8.0(?)
Surly Long Haul Trucker (This would be in the future as a second bike when I'm able to go touring)

Anyway any input would be welcome.

Thanks.

As long as your doc says that cycling is OK, it sounds like you are going in the right direction. As a novice cyclist, your LBS (local bike shop) is your best resource for a new bike. Don't be afraid to ask them any questions that you have. That's what they are there for and if they have been around for any length of time, they will have heard it all. You should be able to find a pretty good bike in the $800 - $1400 range, especially right now when the bicycle shops are starting to really deal to unload all of their existing stock. Unfortunately with your small stature, you might not get a great deal as they might have to special order a bike to fit you. It really depends upon your inseam and reach.