New to bikes and got some questions...

atomheartmother

Aug 2, 2006
My faitful Wal-Mart special mountain bike was stolen a while ago and I'm looking for a replacement. I've decided to just get a cheap, used, old bike for now so I can save up for something nicer when I live in a better place where a good bike wouldn't get stolen (I've had two stolen in the last year...both locked up).

I've kind of decided on a road bike as my father has a nice vintage Free Spirit from the 70's (that he bought new) that I like quite a bit. Thus, I figure that I'll peruse ebay a bit to find an older road bike as my buying power should be better for an old used bike versus a new one at the same or similar price (especially when buying on ebay). I'd buy at a local bike shop, but none of them around here have used bikes (I checked 3 or 4).

Anyway, I perused ebay for a few minutes and came up with these for pretty cheap. Would they be OK (at least better than a $150-200 Wal-Mart bike) for the prices they are going at?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230011777545&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&item=280012874437&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Common sense would tell me that the Schwinn might be better due to name recognition as I've never heard of the Nishiki. However, I like the looks of the tires on the Nishiki as they look to be a bit better on gravel if I should ever have to go on gravel (not terribly likely). Could I put such tires on the Schwinn? How much would it cost to have a shop put those on?

I know that these bikes are probably very poor quality by your guys' standards, but I'm not really an enthusiast or anything and am not looking to compete or even ride with other people at this time. I just need to get something that will get me around for now. I really only have around $200ish right now and that's not going to be anywhere near enough for a new road bike. Plus, I'd like to get a decent helmet, water bottle, etc.

Also, what should I look for in frame size? I noticed that these are considerably different in sizes. I'm 6' 1" if that helps at all. In shops on newer bikes I've noticed that the bikes come in sizes like clothes--small, medium, large, extra large. What are the corresponding inch sizes for those? A lady at one shop said that a large bike would fit me well (it was some Specialized hybrid bike).

Thus, I figure that I'll peruse ebay a bit to find an older road bike as my buying power should be better for an old used bike versus a new one at the same or similar price (especially when buying on ebay).
Good plan, though make sure you take a good look at things like frame rust, chain/drivetrain wear, that sort of thing.

Keep in mind though, with the boom of mountain bikes in the past decade or so (and the common tendency for people to spend money on a bike, then leave it sitting largely unused in the garage for a couple of years before selling it second hand) your money will go a lot further buying a mountain bike than a road bike. They'll be heavier and not as aerodynamic as a road bike, but you will be able to get a lot more for your money, with features such as indexed shifting and so on.

You can get slick and semi-slick tyres for mountain bikes quite cheaply, so when on paved or smooth unpaved surfaces you aren't at much of a disadvantage.

However, I like the looks of the tires on the Nishiki as they look to be a bit better on gravel if I should ever have to go on gravel (not terribly likely). Could I put such tires on the Schwinn? How much would it cost to have a shop put those on?
It would certainly be possible.. depending on the size of the wheel rims you may need to hunt a bit to find tyres that will fit (if it's one of the older size standards). Any bike shop worth its salt will be able to help you out with this though.

Also, what should I look for in frame size? I noticed that these are considerably different in sizes. I'm 6' 1" if that helps at all. In shops on newer bikes I've noticed that the bikes come in sizes like clothes--small, medium, large, extra large. What are the corresponding inch sizes for those? A lady at one shop said that a large bike would fit me well (it was some Specialized hybrid bike).
I'm 6' 0" and ride large size mountain bikes, and am about the 56-58cm road bike size. The exact sizing regime depends on the manufacturer of the bike though, even with the specific centimetre sizes there are still variances in how the bike is measured.

If you want to be scientific about things, consider using an online 'bike fit' calculator (online bike stores like www.wrenchscience.com and www.competitivecyclist.com have these) to give you a good ballpark figure of where you should be at, and then confirm by test riding the bike(s) you're considering.

rek said:
I'm 6' 0" and ride large size mountain bikes, and am about the 56-58cm road bike size. The exact sizing regime depends on the manufacturer of the bike though, even with the specific centimetre sizes there are still variances in how the bike is measured.
Fit is the biggest concern. In addition to your height, you have to take into consideration the length of your arms and legs. I, too, am 6'0", but i have only a 30" inseam and short arms. I just bought a 56cm road bike, but had to replace the standard 120mm stem with a 110mm. Most people my height would be on a 58cm frame.

To make matters worse, the frame geometries have changed in recent years, so trying to compare a compact geometry to a traditional geometry frame is nearly impossible unless you have a lot of experience. Unless you have tried a lot of bikes in both the traditional and compact geometry and know exactly what will fit you, the best way to buy a bike is to try it. While most local bike shops do not have used bikes, in many cities there are second-hand or consignment sporting goods stores (In my area they are called "Play it Again Sports"). While the sales person will not be knowledgable about the bikes, at least you can see, touch, and ride the bike before you buy.

Another possibility is to check out some local cycling clubs. Your LBS probably knows of the clubs in your area. Often, members upgrade their bikes and sell off their old ones. In that situation, you also have the advantage of being able to get the opinion of someone other than the seller as to whether a particular bike is a good fit for you.