New to bikes, What's the diff ATB, MTB, Road, Crouser, Comfort, Cross....

Mycroft

Guest
Other than tire cross-section diameter and handle bars, I don't see a
difference?? What are the differences?

In article <[email protected]>,
Mycroft <[email protected]> writes:

> Other than tire cross-section diameter and handle bars, I don't see a
> difference?? What are the differences?

Throwing the phrase: "bicycle types" at Google gets
it to cough this up (among other hits):
http://www.bikesrnottoys.com/diffBikes.htm

cheers,
Tom
--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Mycroft wrote:

> Other than tire cross-section diameter and handle bars, I don't see a
> difference?? What are the differences?

ATB bikes are stronger, heaver, geared lower, and have off-road tires.
Great for riding off-road, OK for short distances on-road.

Comfort bikes have a more upright seating postion, low-pressure on-road
tires. Great for short to medium distances (<20 miles?) on-road or on
gravel paths.

Road bikes are lighter and geared higher with a more aerodynamic riding
position. Great for any distance on-road; not useful at all off-road.

di wrote:
> "Mycroft" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>> Other than tire cross-section diameter and handle bars, I don't see a
>> difference?? What are the differences?

> Paint

And what it covers.

And components.

And accessories.

AND, of course, the outfit! (One must dress for the ride, after all.)

"Mycroft" wrote: (clip) What are the differences?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bicycles vary a lot in their handling characteristics, which are designed
into the frame and fork geometry, and which are not visible on casual
inspection. Think about driving a long wheel base luxury sedan off-road, vs
a Jeep on the freeway.

Rich wrote:

> Road bikes are lighter and geared higher with a more aerodynamic riding
> position. Great for any distance on-road; not useful at all off-road.

Rats, I didn't know that. Last year I traveled a couple of hundred
miles on rutted jeep trails with my road bikes. I wish you would have
told me earlier that it wasn't useful!

RFM

:
: > Road bikes are lighter and geared higher with a more aerodynamic riding
: > position. Great for any distance on-road; not useful at all off-road.
:
: Rats, I didn't know that. Last year I traveled a couple of hundred
: miles on rutted jeep trails with my road bikes. I wish you would have
: told me earlier that it wasn't useful!
:
: RFM

what size tires did you use? did you load the bike down with panniers?

Pat in TX
:

Pat wrote:

> what size tires did you use? did you load the bike down with panniers?

Tires are normal 700x25 road slicks. I bogged down in some sand a
couple of times but still managed to cycle through it. Some rocks,
limbs and gravel mean momentary dismount more than I would on my MTB.

My bike is loaded with panniers about as much as most mountain bikers
do, I suppose.

Mountain bikes are certainly better suited for off-road travel, but
that doesn't make road bikes "not useful at all off-road" as was
asserted earlier.

RFM
http://www.cyclelicio.us/

Mycroft <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Other than tire cross-section diameter and handle bars, I don't see a
> difference?? What are the differences?

http://www.whycycle.co.uk/whatbike.htm

Hope that helps.

I personally like Hybrids.