new to biking :D help?

ryann090

Apr 2, 2013
hey everyone,
im 20 and kinda new to biking, i brought myself a mountain bike a few weeks ago and have gone a few times over the canals etc and enjoyed it.
i just want some advice on biking, like what should i carry with me? should i take any of that energy shake or whatever it is that people use? any advice would be good :D

Wear a helmet. Always wear a helmet... MHO.

It's easy to dehydrate even in cold weather. On trips further than a couple miles I take a bottle of water. Get yourself a cage and a water bottle.

Every cyclist sooner or later gets a flat tire... or so they say. It isn't unheard of to get two flats during the same ride. A replacement tube, a couple pry bars, duct tape, patch kit, and some sort of pump sure beats walking a bike home.

If your a lean, low-fat, long riding, hard training cyclist you could burn the calories off that are stored in your blood and muscles. And then continue to burn calories at a rate that exceeds the speed in which your body can metabolize them from your skimpy body fat. If that happens.... you'll feel like the bottom drops out of your energy. It called bonking. You'll have to rest just to get home and could feel drained for days. Or at least.... thats what I hear. I've never actually seen or experienced that myself.

If you do like long hard rides... add a second water bottle and fill it with a drink mix that contains electrolytes (and calories). A piece of fruit or candy (er... energy) bar might be nice too.

ryann090 said:
hey everyone,  im 20 and kinda new to biking, i brought myself a mountain bike a few weeks ago and have gone a few times over the canals etc and enjoyed it.  i just want some advice on biking, like what should i carry with me? should i take any of that energy shake or whatever it is that people use? any advice would be good :D
The best thing to have with you on a ride is your full attention. Using that is the best way to avoid accidents, careless drivers, potholes, flats....

Cheers, I did have a flat the first time I went riding, took me like 2 hours to change the back inter tube What's the best tyres and inner tube you would advise for off roads and going over the canal etc ?

you need to check out first the rims and the rim tape, you do that by taking out the tyre and the inner tube, to do that you need plastic levers that come on pairs or sometimes as a 3 piece set. check carefully that there aren't any spoke heads surpassing the rim tape. inner tubes is not really a problem, all of them have similar prices, the tyres however doesn't, you need to invest money on a good tyre, there are lots of brands and models to chose from, and finally tyre pressure is another factor, excessive low pressure can foster flats, always check the tyres with your thumb, they should be hard at all times,