new to biking, need advice

carin1976

Jul 20, 2005
Okay, so i've been doing spinning class for well over 2 years. I would really like to buy a road bike to actually move when I pedal. In any case, does anyone have any good suggestions as to a beginner road bike? I don't want to spend more than maybe $400. I'm trying to find a good type of bike for me, then maybe purchase on e-bay. Also, i live in New Orleans and it is INCREDIBLY hot right now, so I want to make sure i'll actually ride the bike before forking out the cash for a really good one. Also, what size? I'm 5'5". I think my last bike was a 19".. does that sound right? I appreciate ANY help. :)

i think a 19" frame sounds a weee bit too big for your height! A 19" frame is equivalent to a large. I am 5'4" and I ride an extra small.

Framing sizes vary a bit. Best thing to do is to go into a shop with a bit of variety in bikes and get them to fit one to you.

carin1976 said:
thank you so much! I appreciate your input.
I would like to reiterate that the fit of the bike is THE MOST IMPORTANTfact to consider when purchasing a bike. Generally speaking, a bike with better components will be lighter, easier to ride and of course, more expensive. In your price range, you may want to consider looking for a used bike so that you can get a better bike than a new one with components that are lesser in quality. -- Just a thought.

i totally agree. My goal has been to find a good quality used bike and make sure that it's something i'm going to stick with, and then upgrade my bike later on. I dont want to sacrafice the quality of the bike for the price. trying to find that happy medium, i guess... I've had some trouble finding a used bike, but hopefully, i'll find one soon. thanks for your advice and input!!

If you can find a used Trek 1000 or a Giant - those are nice bikes. Also a Specialized Allez would work, too, however, you might want to go get measured and pay for a fit - even if you buy a used bike. I have learned just how important fit is over the past year!

You could go to www.wrenchscience.com

At this site you can measure yourself and get an idea of what size might work best for you, buy something on ebay, and then if you feel you need things adjusted, take it to an LBS to have it fit to you. Many bike shops will re-fit an existing bike for $50-$75. Just an idea.

Good luck!

in the 400 price range, you won't be able to find a brand new bike for that price. they just simply aren't priced that low. to get a good used bike, i agree with kaian on the ones he/she listed. i know its not fun putting out close to a grand on a bike but also what it comes down to is paying for the components. bike fitting aside (out of the way once you've picked your winner), do you want to pay a smaller price and have your components punk out on you after 2 years? or do you want to add a bit more cash and have components that last 10-15? its your call. neither is better nor worse. its personal preference and how much/long/devoted to cycling you are!

btw - i'm 5'5 1/2", 126lbs and my bike's specs:
54cm trek 1500
90mm stem
seat height - 69cm
seat fore/aft - 49cm

hope this helps :) ;)

I'm 5'4, have shortish legs, and ride a Trek 1000 SL 50 cm. I like the bike and would recommend it. Ask your local bike shop if they sell used bikes. I know shopping over the internet is tempting but I'd really recommend trying to get the bike locally. You're going to have a lot of questions about riding, equipment, maintenance, etc. It would be nice to have someone locally to ask. Another plus about buying locally is they can set the bike up for you so it fits properly.

Good luck!

I recommend going local as well. If you don't fit it right you'll either strain something or just simply end up hating riding, and that would just suck AND be a shame. As well your new mechanic shuld be your best friend in showing you what needs to be looked after on your bike. and how to do it. Enjoy the ride, welcome to the club.