New To Biking/need Help 1st Bike

123hehaa123

Apr 11, 2015
HI. i wanted to lose some weight and i thought biking would be a good way. i wanted a bike to ride to work too or to friends houses.
since i want a nice good long last bike, i though i reach for a cycling forum for help. i be mostly be on pavement.
i read that height effect how you fit the bike/ how easier to pedal. im very short for a dude (5.1 ft/ 155cm).

You need to go to a reputable local bike shop where they can fit you properly for the size of bike you will need.

cant take a guess?, i know best way to get a nice size bike for me is to go to a cycling shop but going to have trouble going to one. closest one is 1 hr and 30min via bus (dont own a car atm.)

If you just want to lose weight, there are other ways too and cycling some times is not the best one. I have actually -gained- some weight with cycling.

You could also swim etc.

+1 on going to a bike shop and get a good fit on a bike. Even if the bike is the right size for you, you might hate how it feels and not ride it because of that. If you go to a bike shop and try a few bikes you can find one that feels right for you.

Btw, if you cannot find a good fit for your dimensions, then you could also consider a custom bike.

I know a manufacturer of touring bikes, which after you send them a complete set of your measurements build a bike for you, including the option of choosing if you want "sportier" "comfier" etc...

I suspect that you are planning on ordering one on-line without trying one. You might get lucky, but then again you might not...

Are there any bikes that you can try where you are to scale down the range of bikes you are looking for?

and what I always say to people who "mostly want to commute, exercise and will be riding mostly on pavement" :

An Alu or Steel Cyclocross bike! :D

4-25-2008-002-large.jpg