New to Biking - New Jersey MS 150

BikingRyan

Aug 15, 2005
Hi All -

This September I will be riding in the MS 150 - I dont have a road bike; yet. I did some research over the weekend and have a good idea of what I might need to purchase, but thought I would reach out here for recommendations.

What I am considering:
Trek 1500
Cannondale R500
Giant OCR1

I was told that a Trek 1000 would be to harsh of a ride for 150 miles over the course of 2 days - it would beat me up. My dilemma is spend a grand plus on a bike as a new rider and not knowing that I absolutely like the sport.

Can anyone make recommendations on places to pick-up good used bikes?

Cheers -
Ryan

BikingRyan said:
Hi All -

This September I will be riding in the MS 150 - I dont have a road bike; yet. I did some research over the weekend and have a good idea of what I might need to purchase, but thought I would reach out here for recommendations.

What I am considering:
Trek 1500
Cannondale R500
Giant OCR1

I was told that a Trek 1000 would be to harsh of a ride for 150 miles over the course of 2 days - it would beat me up. My dilemma is spend a grand plus on a bike as a new rider and not knowing that I absolutely like the sport.

Cheers -
Ryan
Check the classifieds on www.roadbikereview.com for used bikes. Also, ebay is always a viable option. You can always go to your LBS and ask them if they have any used bikes because sometimes they will.
Research can only say so much about a bike, just because someone loves the R500 (for example), doesn't mean you will. Go to the LBS and test ride all of the bikes they have within your price range.
A grand+ is a lot to spend on a first bike, so I would recommend going the used bike route (as I did for my first bike) and I was very happy with the outcome. If you do end up buying new, any of those three you have listed will make you happy, but test ride them all first.

Since you are not sure you will enjoy cycling you may want to see if your LBS will rent you a bike for the weekend. I know there are a few places near me who rent them.

As for a harsh ride from a Trek 1000... Since you are not really into cycling, the MS 150 is going to be a harsh ride regardless of the bike you ride. I have done the MS 150 for the past 2 years (3rd one coming up in Sept.) and have seen many Trek 1000s on the course. People seem to be fine with/on them.

The key is to ride a few bikes and see what is comfortable to you.

I was hoping to buy a bike and ride in the MS 150, unfortuneately some of my coworkers are already scheduled to ride in it and no one else can get off that weekend. :(

BikingRyan,

I have ridden in 5 MS 150's in PA and Ohio. Check out bikesdirect.com. There are some decent bikes on there that do not cost an arm and a leg. I purchased a Windor Knight which I love. I did replace the seat and seatpost, but ride is great.

ron44030

BikingRyan said:
Hi All -

What I am considering:
Trek 1500
Cannondale R500
Giant OCR1

Cheers -
Ryan

I have a Cannondale R600 and took it on a 40 mile ride yesterday and plan to ride it in the MS150 Bike to the Bay in October. I like it.

ron44030 said:
BikingRyan,

I have ridden in 5 MS 150's in PA and Ohio. Check out bikesdirect.com. There are some decent bikes on there that do not cost an arm and a leg. I purchased a Windor Knight which I love. I did replace the seat and seatpost, but ride is great.

ron44030
I have a Cannondale R600 and it felt good yesterday on my 40 mile ride and I plan to ride it in the MS 150 Bike to the Bay.

I'm doing my fourth City to Shore this year. The first time I did it on a 7 speed Fuji I bought at Sports Authority for $179. I've been on a road bike for the last two, however. There are plenty of folks doing that ride on mountain bikes, hybrids and old road bikes. Since there are rest stops every 15 miles, and plenty of mechanical help if you need it, I wouldn't buy a new bike just for this reason. You should be fine on a Trek 1000. I've also seen lots of them on the course.

Jkuscin said:
I'm doing my fourth City to Shore this year. The first time I did it on a 7 speed Fuji I bought at Sports Authority for $179. I've been on a road bike for the last two, however. There are plenty of folks doing that ride on mountain bikes, hybrids and old road bikes. Since there are rest stops every 15 miles, and plenty of mechanical help if you need it, I wouldn't buy a new bike just for this reason. You should be fine on a Trek 1000. I've also seen lots of them on the course.
I agree the Trek 1000 will be fine. Nicer than what I road for a few years before I got my Cannondale. Have fun, I know I can't wait. I did a 40 mile ride Saturday and am feeling pretty good about the shape I am in, just have to increase the milage each week and remember to eat.

BikingRyan said:

Cheers -
Ryan

The 1000 will be fine. It is equal to my year 2002 model Trek 1200 which carried me well on my first C2S 150 last year. I bought mine as a closeout model on sale and managed to save a few $$$. Check Bike Line's on the web listing of close out sales. You might find a good deal in the Delaware Valley.

The best advice is get your training miles so that you'll be physically fit for the ride. It is relatively easy because of the flat terrain and much lesser bikes will be out there making the same journey. If you are in the right physical condition, you'll make it on a Huffy.

Good luck and raise lots of money for this great cause. You'll love the ride.

I have the trek 1500. same frame as the 1000, but better wheels and shimano components. I'm happy with and am trying to do a century next month.

2 issues so far -- I broke a chain after only 1000 miles (baffling). i also replaced both tires after the rear tire wall blew out. the mechanic said that that is not uncommon on original equipment tires, so be ready to upgrade when you need to.

but as for the ride, get yourself into shape for it or it will not matter what bike you are riding.

BikingRyan said:
Hi All -

What I am considering:
Trek 1500
Cannondale R500
Giant OCR1

Cheers -
Ryan