New to buidling - am I spending too much money?!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by rockinrobin, Sep 8, 2012.

1. rockinrobin

rockinrobin New Member

So I got my frame, fork, new wheels and tires.. and I didn't want to set up a trashy drive train so started looking at higher priced items. If I can save some money here and there, it's definitely preferred so if you see anything I can downgrade and keep some quality, PLEASE help! Thanks.. Here's the gear:

Raceface Deus Crank
    Sram Rival 10spd Cassette
    Sram X.9 10spd FD
    Sram X.9 10spd RD
    Shimano Dura Ace 10spd chain

using a Sram X.9 10spd trgger shifter

Thanks friends

Tags:

2. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

FWIW. I'm a big fan of Shimano XT components because of what I perceive to be the general continuity in appearance for the past 12+ (i.e., the flat 'silver' crank arms seem to have become a constant which happens to suit my aesthetic sensibilities), but I think that SHIMANO SLX is definitely a best buy amongst MTB components.

• there ARE reasons to buy SRAM, but why bother?

SRAM Cassettes seem to be very good, but I think Shimano probably has the best ramping contours on their Cassette's cogs -- the difference tends to be very small, so you can certainly let your wallet & convenience be the determining factor.

A 105 chain is as good as a Dura Ace chain unless you are going for a visual effect, BTW.

3. Fly1296

Fly1296 New Member

I picked up a new KMC X10.93 10-sp chain off eBay for $23 shipped and couldn't be happier. Easy sizing and installation, easy to remove and reinstall as needed, great shifting and dead silent in operation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KMC-X10-93-10-Speed-116L-Stretch-Proof-Bike-Chain-for-SRAM-Shimano-Campagnolo-/320978977271?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4abbd681f7

The 9-speed version is even less:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KMC-X9-93-eXtra-Stretch-Proof-Chain-9-Speed-ROAD-MTB-Bike-Bicycle-9S-NIB-NEW-/320934777665?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab9341341

Rick