New to Coker--advice needed

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Jethro, Aug 9, 2005.

  1. Jethro

    Jethro Guest

    To start with, I am not a real great unicyclist. I can mount, ride, turn
    and sometimes idle and that is about it.

    I borrowed our club's Coker for a while just to try it out.

    Surprisingly enough, I was able to mount without a lot of problems, but
    as soon as I took a couple of pedals, it came out from under me. I made
    several attempts with the same results. For whatever reason, I couldn't
    keep the wheel under me (or keep myself on top of the wheel).

    Obviously, I need practice, but is there any other helpful advice you
    can give me?

    --
    Jethro - Pliny's Dolphin

    ©¿© Bill Hugo
    Jethro's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9413

  2. Bob22b

    Bob22b Guest

    You can use a wall to get used to the large moment of the wheel and
    pedal around a bit like that, but I think you should just keep at it and
    you shouldn't have much trouble riding it. Have fun! :0

    --
    Bob22b - MCL Tearer :d
    Bob22b's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8153

  3. podzol

    podzol Guest

    Hi Jethro. Have fun!
    Yes, keep at it. A difference between a coker and a smaller uni:

    You take a smaller uni for a ride: a coker takes you.

    Don't fight the big wheel. Roll with it. If you argue, it will win; it
    has too much inertia.

    What surface are you riding on? make certain it's smooth and level.
    Great that you;re freemounting already!

    podzol - Bogophile
    podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

  4. Jethro

    Jethro Guest

  5. n9jcv

    n9jcv Guest

    Jethro, just never give up!!!!

    I think I had the same experience. I was used to keeping my balance on
    a 24, by pedaling back and forth. Once you get a Coker moving, you can
    not exert enough pressure to balance by pedaling backwards. You can
    slow down, but you can not continuously ride by making the pedals go
    back and forth, or if you could you would not be able to for long. You
    need to start off slowly and RESIST the temptation to go too fast. I
    only rode a 24 for about 3 months. I was not really good. I could ride
    4 or 5 miles, turn but that was all. Then I got my Coker. Within about
    2 hours, I was riding around the block. I always wanted to speed up,
    but that gets really scarry at first. Remember, Helmet, kneepads and
    wristgaurds are mandatory for a Coker.

    That was about March this year. Now I ride my Coker exclusively. I
    have 850 miles on it so far this summer. I love it. I go anywhere from
    15-40 miles in a day. I very rarely fall. When you do fall, remember,
    you are going fast, and you need to RUN LIKE HE!!, otherwise you will be
    doing a faceplant.

    Good Luck

    n9jcv
    n9jcv's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7844

  6. bugman

    bugman Guest

  7. Jethro

    Jethro Guest

  8. Memphis Mud

    Memphis Mud Guest

    On little unis you can jam some pressure on a pedal and get some
    immediate and dramatic response from the machine. Not so with the Coker.
    Jamming your foot on a Coker pedal and you'll walk right off the
    thing.

    The cruising speed is faster than on little unis.

    Get up on the beast and get her going about 5 mph. Maintain steady
    speed.

    Changing speed is a gradual thing.

    Build up speed gradually...come to a stop veeeery gradually. Turn
    gradually.

    Its a Mac Truck not a Spitfire.

    Initially you have to persuade and coax the beast into doing what you
    want. You shouldn't try to be the boss just yet. Today the beast is the
    boss. You should be nice to the beast. Be thankfull for every ride that
    the beast doesn't kill you. Be respectful of the brute.

    With experience, the two of you should come to a mutually agreeable
    understanding.

    --
    Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

    "winter in peanut butter comes turquoise" -Greg Harper
    Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

  9. DarkTom

    DarkTom Guest

    n9jcv wrote:
    > *Remember, Helmet, kneepads and wristgaurds are mandatory for a Coker.
    >

    > *

    Wise words.

    Wise words indeed.

    http://tinyurl.com/c683l

    T.

    --
    DarkTom - fork riding a sugar unicycle

    -\"just eat less pies, and then the loads on your seatpost will be
    less.\" - johnhimsworth

    \"i am a girl\" - amanda.gallacher
    -
    DarkTom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6515

  10. weeble

    weeble Guest

    Jethro wrote:
    > *Obviously, I need practice, but -*

    No buts! You have answered your own question.

    I guess what I experienced with my first rides on a Coker is that simply
    rolling along the path is not a problem, but every maneuver requires
    about four times as much muscle, space, and time as on a smaller uni.
    The main problem that you have right now is that the control inputs that
    you've become used to using to keep your little uni underneath you
    aren't having much effect on the giant one. You just have to keep doing
    it until your body figures out what it needs to do to manage the thing,
    just like it did with the smaller one. It really is a quite different
    ride. It took me a while to feel comfortable turning, but eventually I
    got used to it, and I can maneuver pretty well now. I still need the 6"
    cranks in order to idle confidently, though.

    --
    weeble - .

    ======================
    To avoid danger of suffocation
    keep away from babies
    and small children
    ======================

    weeble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1625

  11. peter.bier

    peter.bier Guest

    n9jcv wrote:
    > *You need to start off slowly and RESIST the temptation to go too
    > fast.
    > *

    But not too slow! A coker is a lot harder to ride at very slow speeds.
    I find my self far, far less stable on a coker when trying to keep a
    slow pace (eg walking pace).

    The original problem described sounds to me like you are not riding fast
    enough. If you mount and don't build up enough speed it is much harder
    to stay on then if you get a little momentum going. The initial few
    metres before you pick up speed are the hardest.

    --
    peter.bier - Posting since 97

    -Peter Bier

    peter.bier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1506

  12. I understand how it can "get out from under you" as you travel much
    farther for a given movement in the pedals. My experience is that it's
    much easier to keep a coker moving once you are up and moving than a 20"
    or 24". Everything happens much slower.

    I was amazed at first that if I started to fall foward or backward, I
    had several crank cycles to get back in balance. On a 20", you have less
    than one crank cycle to get back in balance.

    Turning will come later. I've probably ridden a couple hundred miles on
    my Coker, but I still can't always make a u-turn on a street.

    A Coker is like driving a bus compared to a sports car.

    --
    kokomojuggler - Coker Rider

    Kokomo Juggler
    -All Glory to God
    kokomojuggler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4925

  13. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    The answer to all Coker questions is to get the miles in.

    When you first have a Coker, it's a novelty. It's a challenge just to
    ride it. It's exhilerating.

    Then you start to cruise at a steady speed, and cover distances, but you
    find that you fear dismounts, obstacles, hills, junctions and the
    like.

    After a while, it seems more trouble than it's worth. Is this all it
    does? It won't idle, turn quickly, or stop.

    If you get past this stage, you will find that it will do almost
    everything that a 26 or 29 will do. It can be idled. It can be
    mounted. It will stop. You can tiptoe across difficult ground. You can
    stomp up hills. You can hold it back on long descents.

    Riding a Coker is all about developing an intuitive understanding of
    Newton.

    --
    Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

    Competing with yesterday to hold off tomorrow.

  14. Mikefule

[...]

  15. Jethro

    Jethro Guest

    Thanks for all the good advice. I am now able to ride somewhat and keep
    the unicycle under me for at least a few hundred feet.

    My mounting needs some work. I can't seem to do a running mount at all.
    I do a stationary mount by grabbing the wheel and bringing it towards
    me. This works between 5 and 10% of the time. Any hints?

    Memphis Mud wrote:
    > *On little unis you can jam some pressure on a pedal and get some
    > immediate and dramatic response from the machine. Not so with the
    > Coker. Jamming your foot on a Coker pedal and you'll walk right off
    > the thing.
    >
    > The cruising speed is faster than on little unis.
    >
    > Get up on the beast and get her going about 5 mph. Maintain steady
    > speed.
    >
    > Changing speed is a gradual thing.
    >
    > Build up speed gradually...come to a stop veeeery gradually. Turn
    > gradually.
    >
    > Its a Mac Truck not a Spitfire.
    >
    > Initially you have to persuade and coax the beast into doing what you
    > want. You shouldn't try to be the boss just yet. Today the beast is
    > the boss. You should be nice to the beast. Be thankfull for every ride
    > that the beast doesn't kill you. Be respectful of the brute.
    >
    > With experience, the two of you should come to a mutually agreeable
    > understanding. *

    Not only is that exceedingly helpful, it was enjoyable to read. Ever
    think about writing books instead of printing them?

    --
    Jethro - Pliny's Dolphin

    ©¿© Bill Hugo
    Jethro's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9413

  16. Memphis Mud

    Memphis Mud Guest

  17. n9jcv

    n9jcv Guest

    Here is what works for me. I put the left pedal just between 3 and 4
    oclock. I then gently step up and forward. With luck your momentum
    will take you to the balance sweet spot on top of the seat. Then make
    sure your other foot hits the pedal and start to push. A few side to
    side wobbles and pedal strokes, now you will be moving and it will
    smooth out.

    I have been riding my Coker since about March - 900 miles and I can
    mount about 80-90% of the time. The 10% I can't is usually when someone
    is watching me!!!

    --
    n9jcv
    n9jcv's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7844

  18. MERCYME

    MERCYME Guest

    Cokers are fun!! I rode a coker for the first time this monday night and
    I just couldn't get off of it. I was able to only mount next to a wall,
    and because I am kinda short, I used to tire to pull myself up. The
    coker that I used had a brake on it, but I didn't dare use that because
    it locks up the wheel, and I didn't really want to go flying off of it
    the first time I was on it. Once I was able to ride pretty good I
    started to pick up some speed. And boy was I moving, and with the nice
    short cranks, I didn't have to pedal that much to go the distance I
    wanted to. And when I tried turning it felt so good, turning on cokers
    has an awesome feel, because you can lean pretty far, and it feels cool.
    Well that was my first time experience on a Coker. When I had to leave
    I wanted to bring the coker with me. I am probably going to order a
    29er within the next year, or even maybe a coker.

    Have fun

    --
    MERCYME - King without a crown

    'Gallery' (gallery.unicyclist.com/danpics)
    AIM-Mr Mercy3

    "Your like water for my soul When it gets thirsty"-Matisyahu

    oogen7543(att)yahoo(dot)com
    MERCYME's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9764

  19. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

    Jethro wrote:
    > *My mounting needs some work. I can't seem to do a running mount at
    > all. I do a stationary mount by grabbing the wheel and bringing it
    > towards me. This works between 5 and 10% of the time. Any hints?
    > *

    The easiest mount for most people is the standard mount, you don't need
    to mess around grabbing the wheel or anything, just step up onto the
    unicycle and pedal off, just like a smaller unicycle. The step up bit
    involves a bit more of a push off to get yourself higher but that's
    all.

    I learnt to mount using the rollback mount, I still find this a bit
    easier, but most people seem to have difficulty with doing a rollback on
    a coker. Again, just like a little unicycle, but do a bigger step up.

    I did some videos of the coker mounts ages back, they're in the album
    below.

    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq60

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall - dumb blonde

    my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album483

  20. brian.slater

    brian.slater Guest

    Memphis Mud wrote:
    > *Initially you have to persuade and coax the beast into doing what you
    > want. You shouldn't try to be the boss just yet. Today the beast is
    > the boss. You should be nice to the beast. Be thankfull for every ride
    > that the beast doesn't kill you. Be respectful of the brute.
    >
    > With experience, the two of you should come to a mutually agreeable
    > understanding. *

    -Initially!!?? - :confused: :confused: I -know- who's the boss and it
    ain't me! :eek: It's just that, sometimes, Marvin The Coker condescends
    to let me -think- I -might- be the boss and that's the *only* "mutually
    agreeable understanding" Marvin permits.

    --
    brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

    Brian C. Slater
    AKA: Snoopy

    Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
    Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

    "To not decide is to decide" - undecided
    brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902