New to cycles - English made Lambert

TheLancaster

Jan 27, 2010
My dad has an old English made Lambert bike and I have started to ride it, it is quite light. I want to start riding on the reg so I want some advice on how to start. I don't have shoes, helmet, gloves or glasses yet but I am very careful and only ride during daylight. The bike is a little too big for me there is no room between my body and the top tube on the frame. My legs feel comfortable on the pedals and are about 90% extended when the pedal is lowest to the ground, also my upper torso is in a good, comfortable position as well. Mind you, I don't know much about cycles or what the parts are called so help me understand. One of the cables is snapped that changes the gears and both of the brakes are spongy, I'm going to take it to a shop in Tampa and see how much it would cost me. I've been riding it to work and that's about 5 miles total but the max I have gone is about 15-20 miles. I want to start biking everyday and try and go further each time. I know that I should get the proper gear and drink plenty of water. For now, what advice can you offer me for a beginner?

1) head over to Sheldon Brown-Bicycle Technical Information, to read up on bikes and educate yourself. It'll make it ever so much easier to deal with your follow-up questions.
2) If the bike really is too big for you - stop right there. There's no danger in riding it, but if it's too far off the mark you'll never get comfortable for longer rides on it.

Equipment is a so-so, you can pick it up piece by piece as you identify a need. Helmet is a sensible thing, but unless you can really guarantee that you'll never get caught out in dusk or darkness I'd start with lights and reflectors. Gloves can be real nice, maybe primarily not for the riding comfort, but to avoid stamping gravel into your palms if you do one of those silly toppling-over-while-(almost)stationary type of falls. And if you go for clipless pedals you will do at least one of those.

Sheldon also have some important info regarding Lambert bikes:
Lambert and Viscount Bicycles

Read it and beware!

TheLancaster said:
My dad has an old English made Lambert bike and I have started to ride it, it is quite light. I want to start riding on the reg so I want some advice on how to start. I don't have shoes, helmet, gloves or glasses yet but I am very careful and only ride during daylight. The bike is a little too big for me there is no room between my body and the top tube on the frame. My legs feel comfortable on the pedals and are about 90% extended when the pedal is lowest to the ground, also my upper torso is in a good, comfortable position as well. Mind you, I don't know much about cycles or what the parts are called so help me understand. One of the cables is snapped that changes the gears and both of the brakes are spongy, I'm going to take it to a shop in Tampa and see how much it would cost me. I've been riding it to work and that's about 5 miles total but the max I have gone is about 15-20 miles. I want to start biking everyday and try and go further each time. I know that I should get the proper gear and drink plenty of water. For now, what advice can you offer me for a beginner?

second dabac with one exception: GET A HELMET

rparedes said:
second dabac with one exception: GET A HELMET

I'm not saying he shouldn't.

But if I had to pace my purchases I'd go for lights and reflectors first. I'd go for the helmet before the clothes and the shoes though.

If money isn't an issue, then sure, get the helmet at first instance.