new to cycling..advice is welcome :)

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by rkeen1012, Aug 3, 2009.

1. rkeen1012

rkeen1012 New Member

Hi, I just started cycling everyday. I'm a 17 year old girl and its off-season from my other sports so I'm obviously out-of-shape. I was wondering what was a good mileage for a girl my age. I absolutely has no desire to race, just a good workout....Right now i have been riding 6 miles a day for the past week. My bike path has some small hills and is very windy since its next to a river. The only reason I am going only 6 is cause thats how long the path is. When I get home I feel like I could still ride some more, but I'm to afraid to go back in case I don't have enough strength to get back home. I'm also wondering how will know if I'm ready to take another lap? And also what is a good mileage goal to set? I know practically all of this varies on age,gender,body type, ect., but I'm just hoping for a good guesstimate :)

Tags:

2. salsa_usa

salsa_usa New Member

Nice thing about biking is you can always coast home. Go ahead and try another lap. . . or two.

3. doctorSpoc

doctorSpoc New Member

milage is a personal thing you raise it as you are ready and you sound like you are ready for that.. there are girls your age doing 60 miles a day... you're not going to know if you can do it unless you try... good thing about cycling is that it's easy to just slow right down and ride back easy if you've gone out too hard. and you can also just eat on the road so you don't run out of energy. put some energy bar and/or gel and/or granola bar and/or bananas in your pockets (that's why cycling jerseys have pockets in the back) and take lots of liquids and you will make it home no problem.