new to cycling and quitting smoking

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by cclev1967, Feb 12, 2012.

1. cclev1967

cclev1967 New Member

Hi everyone, I'm 45 years old, and i have smoked since i was 13 years old. and the last 20 years, 2 packs a day. my wife and i bought a couple bikes last year, hybrids. and I've come to find out i really love cycling, so I've set some goals for myself this year.

first and most important to me, quitting smoking, and i just quit, with quitting smoking for good, my wife has promised me a road bike, nothing high dollar since we are not financially able, I've been looking at a Dawes lightning 1000 on bikes direct. about 400 is the most i could afford to spend. i know i know you get what you pay for, and hopefully someday i can afford a better bike.

so my second goal after riding my first organized ride last year 64 miles, is i want to put the miles in this year. I've got a couple centuries planned, and a 152 mile in a day ride across the state of Michigan, all are organized rides, i like the people that ride in these.

I'm not wanting to race, just put in alot of miles and do it at a respectable pace. on my cheap walmart scwhinn hybrid, i was able to maintain 14 to 15 mph, but to go faster than that and keep up with some of the pace lines, was impossible for me,

so i guess what I'm on here saying or asking, any advice to help me meet, keep and maintain my goals.

thanks in advance. and if there is anyone from the west Michigan area that would like to ride with me let me know, been to a couple of the LBS and man what snobs, if you don't have the money to buy a 3,000 bike. or at a minimum have a trek, or giant or something along those lines. I'm not cycling to make a fashion statement, I'm cycling because i enjoy it,

besides if i had the best bike would i be getting the work out i get in my crappy bike. joking i know i would.

anyway thanks to all.

Tags:

2. jpr95

jpr95 Active Member

Put the $3-4/pack away for a bike. It won't take too long at 2 packs/day to save up for a pretty nice bike. Even if you don't, I see plenty of folks on longer rides riding inexpensive bikes. I had an opportunity last year to splurge, so I did, but there are still a few upgrades I would like to do...

Are you going to the Apple Cider Century? I did that last year for the first time (and it was my first century). Despite it being cool and raining for the first 75 miles, and I didn't have anyone riding with me, I had fun. I also surprised myself with the pace I was able to maintain even though I hadn't done as much training as I would have liked in the weeks/months leading up to it.

3. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

Welcome to the forums, cclev1967. Congrats on quitting smoking! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

You should start feeling better pretty soon, however it often takes a long term smoker as much as a year before your lung capacity is back to 100%. So, be patient and give your body a chance to recover.

Ride as often and as far as you can, but don't over do it at first. A little muscle soreness is expected, deep muscle soreness means you're probably doing too much too soon. Listen to the feedback your body is giving you.

If you really get into cycling and decide you want a nicer bike sometime in the future, get the word out to the people you ride with and to the bike clubs. You might be able to find a really nice used bike that will cost considerably less than a new bike.

Good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress.

4. cclev1967

cclev1967 New Member

Jpr95, i have put that ride on my calender, it looked like a good ride, and ive already started to put the cig money away for my new bike,

thanks for the advice, if you do the apple cider ride let me know, maybe we can look each other up there, and ride together.

5. Dave Cutter

Dave Cutter Active Member

I also had quit cigarettes (as well as had other health issues) before returning to cycling. Cycling can be so many things: An activity, hobby, sport, a way of life. I enjoy cycling as much today as I did when I was eight years old.

I like to joke that a person can make a small fortune cycling. Of course, its an old joke... (the small fortune would be made.. from a large one). But unless you go bat-butt crazy with the latest, greatest, racing equipment.... cycling will never cost you as much as smoking.

Keep shopping around at Local Bicycle Shops. Hopefully you'll find a store you like. No matter what bike you end up with your bicycle is going to need service from time-to-time. Congratulations on your lifestyle changes, and welcome to cycling as well as the forum.

6. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

The hardest part of starting cycling, as a married man, is buying the first bike. There's no way to hide that from the wife. Once that hurdle is cleared, though, it becomes much easier to hide bike related purchases. You can pretty easily hide the purchase of, say a new crank set since the wifey may not remember what the old one looked like. That same goes for a lot of bike parts. It is difficult to sneak aero wheels, a new frame, or new bike clothes past the wife. If you do get caught upgrading, make sure to have a plausible excuse at the ready. Good luck.

7. davereo

davereo Well-Known Member

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif
    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif This is true.
    My grandson broke the brake lever on his spyderman bike taking a digger. So we went in the garage I pulled down the stairs and went up to find him something I could replace it with. The bugger climbed right up behind me and seen my stash. I didnt make a big deal out of it. I found a lever and went back down and fixed the bike. About a week or so later my wife and I took him out for lunch and when we returned he pointed up to the ceiling and told her you see that square up there grandpa has a room full of bikes. I was not prepared and went into instant denial.

8. alienator

Man, you need to have a serious man to boy talk (Not man to boy as in NAMBLA), otherwise he's going to stumble through life unable to recognize the traps set by female significant others or the unholy and unearthly power they have to discover such things.

9. Dave Cutter

Dave Cutter Active Member

OMG that is so true! I have a [normally] very understanding wife, and I had prepared her with all the normal lies as to why I truly needed a new bicycle. I even took her along with me to the various bicycle shops as I shopped for my new ride (to include her in the process). Yet for reasons I still don't fully understand... she not only wasn't happy to see the bicycle when I brought it home... she didn't appear to be happy to see me ether. I was not a popular person in my own home for a while.

10. PlatyPius

PlatyPius New Member

Keep looking around. Talk to your local bike shop owners/employees. For instance, I just sold my "demo" bike - a 2010 Raleigh Sport - for $500. The frameset was the only used part, everything else was new (Sora components, Sun/Sora wheels, etc). Bike shops that don't only cater to the higher end can probably come up with something similar for you. Jamis, for instance, still has new bikes from 2009 that could be ordered and come close to your price range. I've built a couple of the BD bikes you're looking at. You'd be much better off buying a used bike, a demo bike, or even a better model from BD than that particular model. Trust me on this.

11. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

Coupla yrs ago I upgraded from 105 to a DA7800 group I aquired on the cheap. Was living w/my GF at the time and as she walked past my Colnago she said "is that a new crank", I didn't whisper a peep. She kept staring at the bike. A minute later she said "wait, and are those new brakes"... the gig was up! My excuse... "We're not married yet". You gotta watch out for some of these ladies.

To the OP, stay strong. I chugged down a pack a day for much of the 10 years prior to my most recent racing block, and I'm getting ready for my strongest season to date. Unless one has already slipped over the edge, the body has the amazing ability to undo most, if not all of the damage. If you start to slip try a copy of Allen Carr's The Easy Way... did the trick for me.

12. cclev1967

cclev1967 New Member

well good news so far, im still smoke free, its not been near as hard as i thought it would be, get a little temptation now and then, but i live in the country and dont have to work for the week, gave my wife the keys to the truck to take to work with her, way to icy and cold to try to ride to town , so im kinda of stuck here all day with no way to get a smoke if i really did want one.

and as far a a new bike goes, looks like im going to start looking at the LBS again, my wife told me i could go as high as 500, but what she dont know is i have a little money hidden for a rainy day, so i think i will look at something that will last me awhile and do what i need it to do, my wife dont know the difference, between specialized and huffy so i think i can pull it off, so now my budget is at 900 and then i still have a little left for clothing and shoes.

13. PlatyPius

PlatyPius New Member

With $900 you should definitely be able to find something better than entry level. Lots of decent bikes in that price range.

14. Kalilileth

Kalilileth New Member

Just remember some of us are built for comfort - not for speed! Cycling in my opinion, is a way to see what is around us as we travel and enjoy the journey rather than focus only on the destination. If you want to go fast in life, ignoring everything round you, there are plenty of other more suitable ways to travel. I leave the athletics to the athletes and just enjoy the journey. Hope you will too.

PlatyPius likes this.
  15. detroitjim

detroitjim New Member

Cclev1967

Don't worry about buying a new bike right now make sure that cycling is what you want to do. Whatever your riding now,it will suffice as log as it is good mechanical condition. When you do finally decide to buy a cycle do yourself a favor and but one that properly fits you! There are a lot of articles on the net about determining the proper sizing....read up. Ef them snobs at your LBS go to both of them and test ride several. That's what there there for. Don't make any hasty decisions (your not a kid anymore) Don't let them give you the hard sell either. After testing a bunch go back and make them an offer .if they wont come down have them throw in a few extras.,like a bottle and bottle holder,extra tubes something like that. If they are flexible and want to make a sale they'll do something to sweeten the deal for you. If they stay rigid , walk away (unless you've researched it and they are beating or matching online prices). You'll feel a huge difference quality components make when you're ready to spend a few bucks on a descent bicycle.

Biggest thing is don't give in an start back smoking!!!! A pal borrows a bike of mine, he gets about 5 miles to a cigarette. Both him and his brother are 3 packs a day people. I already told them that they'll SOON be toting one of those green bottles along with having a clear hose stuffed up their nose. They'll get NO sympathy from me.

Smart move setting some goals for yourself!

I myself used cycling to help quit smoking back in 93. I still get an urge to have one ,all be it extremely rarely now. Never have given though.
    A rev I had the pleasure of working with helped me with these words "Be the master of yourself". I I used that statement to fight off the slavery of tobacco.

Good Luck to you!

16. alienator

That's right.....because bike shops have such a huge margin on bikes, right? Actually, no. Bike shops do not have a huge margin on a bike.

17. detroitjim

detroitjim New Member

You're right when you're talking about a $99 special. Several years back went to the LBS . All set on a Trek mountain bike, out the door $500 and some odd dollars. Asked for a bottle and cage(their cost $3) . "Oh ,man I cant make anything if I give that to you"
    Yeah right! Deal breaker! Later with that nonsense!
    They did me a favor by being so rigid. Ended up putting a Cannondale together myself(with way better components)for a few pennies more.

18. alienator

You'd be surprised at how narrow the margin is on most of the bikes that bike shops sell. I'm not talking about $99 specials: that's not even a realistic possibility. I'm talking about all bikes. That margin gets even smaller when you consider the overhead for an LBS which is typically higher, as a percentage, than it is for internet stores. Feel free to be as closed minded as you want, but I am speaking from facts that I have seen with my own eyes at a few bike shops. I'll repeat: the biggest margins for a bike shop is on accessories and wrenching. You appear to have your mind made up and as such are unlikely to consider facts outside whatever you have decided.

19. cclev1967

cclev1967 New Member

well almost a week smoke free now, haven't given in and don't plan to, i already feel alot better, went around to a couple other bike shops, found one shop called loose spokes in Grand Haven Michigan, really liked the guys there, answered alot of my questions showed me a alot of really nice high dollar bikes, but never made me a sales pitch, just showed me differences, i liked that. told me about some rides hey do, even told me to come do a ride on a Saturday in the spring, don't buy a bike until then, and i can take one on the ride. see how like it, a 40 mile try it before i buy it deal, now that to me is exactly what i call customer service. so with that attitude that bike shop has alone just got my loyalty.
    i will be buying my new bike from them. just have to pick one out, shoot they even told me they have layaway, that i like, i see upgrade in the future now .

and hey thanks guys for all the great encouragement and advice. I'm really liking the new 2012 Fuji roubaiex not sure if i spelled that right, but anyway i like the bike. also registered for my first ride, a ride across Michigan, from lake Michigan to lake Huron in a day, 150 something miles. should be fun.

now i need spring to get here so i can start riding and get in shape, need to lose some of the winter fat,

anyway thanks again guys.

20. tottenham21

tottenham21 New Member

First off welcome to the forums and to the very addictive world of cycling, and congratulations on quitting smoking, I just quit myself last 30th of Dec was the last time I touched one of those cancer sticks and I feel great, download on your phone the app called quit now it is extremely good as it shows you how many minutes you save in your life day by day without smoking, also shows you how much money you save from not smoking etc have a look mate you will love it..hey also someone on here can't remember who but they made a good point, if you want a really nice road bike but can't afford it at the moment just save the amount that you would've spend on two packs a day and in less than 8 months you should have enough for a great looking bike..good luck and keep up the good work..