New to Cycling and want to race?

Discussion in 'Next Generation' started by KeSs, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Jono L

Jono L Well-Known Member

Good old sarcasm eh

Anyway, road is certainly the way to go, but, track racing simply allows you to go faster in a controlled enviroment:D

2. Velo Steve

Velo Steve New Member

Just to jump on the track comments...

If you are interested, and close enough to a track, here is some introductory information for track at JuniorVelo.com. There's also a map of velodrome locations. It is complete for the USA, and has some of the locations in other countries.

Not everyone likes track, but you don't know until you try. One of our best local juniors avoided it for a couple of years, telling his friends it would be too boring going in circles. Now he likes it and he's moving up the ranks.

Some road racers do track just to get better at race finishes, because they learn so much about sprint tactics and technique.

3. lyotard

lyotard New Member

a good resource to check out, this is provided by a long time cat-1.
    www.roble.net/marquis

4. vikramkamath

vikramkamath New Member

How does one start training for say a USCF certified race at this age(bt, I am 16) and especially when you live in a country like india???? any advice will be appreciated, thanks

5. Speed_Freak92

Speed_Freak92 New Member

Let me ask you something, have you ever cycled on a velodrome? I recently went with my school team (which I’m a part of) to the Olympic velodrome in Melbourne. It was so much fun. You go so quick around the track, and it was all topped off by me winning the standing start 250m time trial (25.20 seconds). So don't tell me track cycling is gay!

6. OGRICHBOI

OGRICHBOI New Member

Thank you so much for this! My friend has recently been getting into cycling, and is looking to participate in some races. For a beginner, he is decent and has some speed. I simply linked him to this thread and now he does not even have to ask me questions! This information is helpful, because as a racer, you need to know the difference and the rules of races.

7. goldenmaine

goldenmaine New Member

[SIZE=10.5pt]I would also like to compete in a cycling race to test my performance with other competitors in terms of speed and skills. A road race or mountainous terrain using a mountain bike would be some that I would like to join. Road race would be nice to feel how fast I can go with my bike. On the other hand it would be awesome to ride a mountain bike in difficult terrain and navigate it along different roads and paths. [/SIZE]

8. shilpa123

shilpa123 New Member

All the training must and should start from a personal interest.
    I do not think you can achieve without any hardworking. It all depends on how well you plan for it.

9. shilpa123

shilpa123 New Member

All the training must and should start from a personal interest.
    I do not think you can achieve without any hardworking. It all depends on how well you plan for it.

10. westmixxin

westmixxin New Member

I don't think there's anything more fun than a bike race I think it might even be more fun than a foot race. Simply because the speed that you're able to generate on a bike is amazing. It's amazing to be able to create your own power and use it to your advantage.

11. ZXD22

ZXD22 Member

Oh wow! I never knew that you needed a special license just to get into pro bike racing. That actually sounds pretty cool and I am kind of interested in trying to get one in the future.As for the different biking type races, I never knew a race could be as short as .5 of a mile. Thanks for the guide!

12. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Member

Awesome, that's really interesting.

13. Tryner

Tryner New Member

This is great, thank you! Sadly, there aren't any clubs around me, but hopefully I'll be moving in the near future! This is a great reference for newbies like me. :)

14. MNyte

MNyte New Member

That is awesome! I hope this motivates people to try a lot harder - this will for me!

15. kzipls

kzipls New Member

I'm such a newbie. I've only been cycling for the fun of it and never thought of actually racing. Would anyone like to give me any recommendations or tips?

16. Henrywrites

Henrywrites Member

You are right, I mean we should tend to understand that we are here to learn from one another and looking at the way that some wants to turn it into an argument thread is not really good as long as I am concerned. There is need for unity amongst us.

17. Henrywrites

Henrywrites Member

Racing is a good way to learn more and I would advise that you check out for some of the riders that are in your neighborhood for a good way to begin with them. This is the best way tha you get to practice what you've been learning on this thread.

18. Paul Milles

Paul Milles New Member

I think we might actually be cycling soulmates. My next bike after the Budgie was a Burner too! In blue/yellow. Once I tried to jump it and the handlebar grip came off in my hand, precipitating an unpleasant crash. And they wonder why Raleigh ended up in trouble... cycling.jpeg