New to cycling, do I have potential? (Time/Distance/Pics)

mowjiggens37

Jul 31, 2012
I am completly new to cycling, i used to run but now am cycling to stay in shape....pretty much just wondering if I have any potential and if i should invest some money in a better bike

Bike-GMC denali 700cc (piece of **** that i bought for 160 bucks but gets the job done, 21 speed) http://www.walmart.com/ip/GMC-Denali-700c-Men-s-Road-Bike-Large/12080282

Course-
http://imgur.com/yn47H

Distance-8.1 miles
Time-28:30
Avg Speed-17.05mph/27.4 kmh

For this distance, speed, time...am i any good?

P.S. I have been riding for about a week and a half now but was in fairly good shape before starting

A GMC Denali? OK. That thing is probably heavy enough to need a V8 to get it moving so if you averaged 17mph with those pedals then you have some gas in the tank. If you are serious about riding though, run, don't walk, to the nearest bike shop and get something closer to 20 lbs or less. The difference will be night and day.

I agree get a better bike and then do some distance riding. 8.1 miles is a short Time Trial.

P.S. I have been riding for about a week and a half now but was in fairly good shape before starting
It can take 5-7 years of steady training to reach one's potential from a central conditioning standpoint (adapatations of the pulmonary system, more specifically the heart, it's left ventricle, and how much blood volume can be moved with a single stroke).

If you like riding get a bike that matches your enthusiasm. Genetics and training discipline will determine how far you get. Try to have as much fun along the way. It's slightly easier to gage potential after a season or two of consistent training and racing. Those of us less gifted (or those of us gifted but lazy) usually end up in the mid level Cats, those gifted both with genes and training discipline usually go pretty far and end up in the Elite Categories (1,2) in the first year or two. Those with no genetic gift and no training discipline usually get dropped in their first race and never come back to try again. Those with no genetic gift can still have heaps of fun racing in the mid-level Cats with good training discipline.

Way too soon to start thinking potential. As was stated above it takes years of more blood, sweat, tears, time, and dedication than what most could imagine, just to realize where potential is. Just keep riding, maybe find a local group, and if things fall into place try a race. Regardless of what level you make it to, there will always be a next level that will totally put things into perspective, trust me. A good perspective would be that most real competitive Cat 5 cyclists could take your bike and nock out 8.1 miles in 24 minutes or less. With regards to buying a new bike, you could and sure you would be a bit faster and likely have more enjoyment or you could give the sport some time and see what you want to do and go from there.

Originally Posted by mowjiggens37 .

Distance-8.1 miles
Time-28:30
Avg Speed-17.05mph/27.4 kmh

For this distance, speed, time...am i any good?

It has been well over 100 degrees for some time around me. I go out for 2 hours and would have trouble beating those numbers. It is not just me. Most days I see local racers not doing as well as I do. (Today I and a local racer were playing leap frog for 10 miles. I would out climb him. He would catch up on the flats. Not any real racing. Just different training styles. Until the last hill. I realized I had a problem when I was doing 300+w and I started to see his shadow as he was coming along side. I just shook my head and let him go.

In 2 hours I drank 50oz of water during the 1:50 on my bike and 60oz in the 10 minutes after I got home. Your numbers appear very good to me.

===

Your bike does not matter. When I started bicycling years ago, I rode a woman's mixty frame. I could hold my own against the local racers.

Find a local weekly ride that you fit into skill and strength wise. Ride with guys..

If you are happy with the bike and it is comfortable and safe, don't worry about it. I am familiar with the denali - considered getting one for a winter beater. I say ride it until you know what you want or it wears out ( which may be a season or two).

Unless you doing lots of hills, bike weight does not greatly affect your solo speed average. I have set a fair number of KOMs on my heaviest road bike which is about 30 pounds without water bottles.

My guess is that the denali comes with cheap tires. If you want to have a speed upgrade without replacing the bike, consider getting a decent set of tires.

Originally Posted by maydog .

Unless you doing lots of hills, bike weight does not greatly affect your solo speed average. I have set a fair number of KOMs on my heaviest road bike which is about 30 pounds without water bottles.

My guess is that the denali comes with cheap tires. If you want to have a speed upgrade without replacing the bike, consider getting a decent set of tires.
+1 on the tires. My first race was done on a bike of similar quality to yours (OP), comparitively speaking that is to the bikes of the 80's. Mine was a 26lb high tensile steel bike with stamped dropouts that originally came with shiny steel rims. The upgrades I could afford were a set of alloy wheels, proper pedals w/toe clips and straps, and some better tires, little bits and pieces upgraded along the way - the guys I was racing against had 19-22lb alloy steel bikes... 26lbs was good for 2nd place. Yours is alu, I'm guessing around 22lbs? My current race bike is also aluminum - something that doesn't have to be sweated when sliding along asphalt or being tossed into the back of the team van.

As long as the bike fits properly, runs smoothly, and has some high quality rubber between you and the road, the liability is likely to be your legs. Doesn't mean we shouldn't aspire to own better bikes, but it's probably the legs that are going to hold us back more than the bike. The marketing departments of these bike companies would like to have you believe otherwise.

thanks for the comments and advice

if i were to upgrade the tires on my bike what would be a good and relativley cheap set to pick up?

Originally Posted by mowjiggens37 .

thanks for the comments and advice

if i were to upgrade the tires on my bike what would be a good and relativley cheap set to pick up?
I would recommend the Vittoria Rubino Pro, although not as fast rolling as some of the more expensive tires, they offer a nice blend of performance, flat protection, and don't wear out too quick. There are cheaper tires that offer better flat protection, but if you are looking for performance, a little $$ needs to be liberated from yer wallet.

Those are the only tires I have experience with in recent years outside of the Vittoria CX (glorious ride, rolls fast, wears out even faster), the Continental GP4000 (great blend of performance, mileage, flat protection), and the Continental 4-Season (When I'm not in full out racing mode this is bar none, my absolute favorite tire - great puncture protection, pretty fast and smooth, good mileage capacity). I personally prefer a width of 25c's. IMO they just feel nicer than their skinnier 23c counterparts. There is negligible weight difference and they handle better as well. Clincher tires that are too skinny (21, 22mm) just feel a little dead and are not much fun to ride on roads with any sort of bumps or potholes, ie. most roads found in the real world. Skinny tubbies are another story but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Others may have recommendations with tires they have experience with.

Reactions: dhk2
I still find it a little funny to hear people calling 21 and 22C tires skinny. Back when I was a lad we rode 19C tires all the time and even 18C in time trials.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

I still find it a little funny to hear people calling 21 and 22C tires skinny. Back when I was a lad we rode 19C tires all the time and even 18C in time trials.
I was very excited when my first set of 19c Wolbers came from Nasbar in the 80's (they may have been the first set of <20c clinchers on the market). I remember waiting for the UPS truck to drive down my road - I had played hookey from school and sat looking out the window all day. I was feverish getting them on and couldn't wait to experience a new paradigm in speed. Boy oh boy. They rode like ****, they cornered terribly and I felt slower than ever. Crazy I know. I chalk it up to clinchers vs. tubulars (especially clincher technology back in the day).

I rode my bike about 3 miles for the first time Is it dangerous to have to stop periodically to catch your breath? Not sure if I should challenge that again. I only rode the bike because I was frustrated that I couldn't find anybody with a truck or van to assist me

about 160, 67 of them were metered the rest is assumed. but I broke my rear wheel 2 days ago. I hate it when dumb **** keeps me off the bike. Like I have PTSD, so I either ride or take a demon of a sleeping pill(150mg of trazadone). So I am angry when I don't get to ride.