New to cycling (from rowing)

I would say that sub 1:45 is an excellent pace for a lwt, but it's worth recalling that the standard distance is 2k and not 60 minutes- a very different beast. I may have managed 60' at sub 1:45 at some point, but it would have been unusually good for me. I knew national team type lwt guys who could really crank it for an hour. However, it's a very rare lwt who can beat my 2k PR at weight (6:10. decent for my size: 6'2", 190ish but obviously not fast compared to a typical open national team guy). Good ergs may correlate reasonably well at different distances, but a good 2k erg will certainly be a better indicator of 2k racing ability than the ability to pull a good 30 or 60 minutes.

I'm curious- what sort of 2k could you pull? If you were sub 6:20 at weight, I doubt it was your erg holding you back. What sort of power do you see on the bike?

-marc

GettingFaster said:
Well I would argue that your technique (I assume we're talking about the 1x?) is unusually good rather than others' being very poor, but the difference is semantic :) I've never raced the LM1x at Nat Champs but I could definitely go <1.45 for an hour at under 75kg and while I was useful in a 1x there were plenty in the country who could beat me.