New to cycling, just got my first road bike and need help,

mharris35

Jun 13, 2012
hello my name is Madison and i just got a defy3 last couple days ago, and past 2days iv riden 37miles at a avg 16-20mph top speed 26mph but only for a few then i get drained, and i plan to go ride in the morning again, once im listening to my music and just riding it's fun!! and im a little over weight, so hopefully this will get me in shape. i use to be 250 right now im 185 but not fit, im 5'11 Male. yes dont let the name fool you.

but i was woundering since i think i wanna do some races(which catergory should i go in) next year so this year i'm just trying to get in shape and get my endurance up, what is a good amount of miles to do a week to get in ready to atleast finish the race next year lol, also what is a good diet plan, and any tips.

...so this year i'm just trying to get in shape and get my endurance up, what is a good amount of miles to do a week to get in ready to atleast finish the race next year lol, also what is a good diet plan, and any tips.

Some folks use mileage as an indicator, many use hours on the bike. Average speed doesn't mean much considering road gradient, head/tail-wind, group vs. solo, etc. Too many variables.

The amount of training required to race is up in the air. Some folks seem to race mid-level categories on just several hours a week, while others may have to train longer just to hang in the entry level categories. Genetics and quality of training will determine much of that. Personally I'd say you should be riding at least 4 times a week, for at least 90-120 minutes a go (25-40 miles), and longer on the weekends - rides of 3+hours. This is a general amount for basic fitness for entry level racing. If you do more great. As one moves up in categories longer/harder training sessions are a given. There are many books (and threads on this forum) devoted to this.

As an entry level racer, there is only one Category to race in... Cat5. This thread will define the basics: http://www.cyclingforums.com/t/490528/race-cat-selection

There is a lot of info on this forum, it will be helpful to start reading as many threads as you can in the Cycling training sub-forum, as this same question has been asked many times over.

Racing is harder than people think, even entry level. As for diet, eat a well balanced diet in moderation. Or eat cheeseburgers and chocolate shakes like me. Tips? There's thousands of juicy pages here...

My biggest tips: For long term gains ride consistently, but moderately, and sprinkle with intensity. Warm up before races. Find riding partners/friends to keep you motivated. If you join a team or club be helpful and courteous to teammate and teamates will often give a lot in return, if they don't quit the team you are on and find a new one. Have fun, if you don't really enjoy this activity, the gains necessary to race won't be realized. Don't let a bad result get you down, there's always another race. Even if you get dropped, (and provided you didn't crash out) finish the race even if it means coming in last, it's a good character development tool. Take "racing" advice from people who race, not just folks who ride a lot. Learn how to change a flat and do basic maintenance on your bike. Don't listen to music when riding in traffic /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

http://www.mbra.org/indexx.php The website above has all the Michigan bike race info you will ever want. I go to most of the MBRA races. Everyone starts as a Cat 5 in the US