Bike buying advice · Public discussion

New to Cycling, Need Advice

Started by jellyman · · Last activity · 4 posts · 1,842 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike buying advice
Published
9 March 2008
Last activity
22 March 2008
Original author
jellyman
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,842
Views / 30 days
9

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hey everyone,

    My parents are looking to buy me a graduation gift and I've decided that I'd reallllly like a nice bike.

    I want to stay active and eventually compete in races.

    I always watch the Tour de France and am interested in getting a cycle like that.

    What is the right name for that type of cycle? What are some top quality brands? The budget's around $1,000.

    I've looked at LeMond, but am interested in hearing all opinions.

    Please help! I really want to get involved in the sport!

    If it helps, I'm 6'4" and 177 pounds with long arms. Don't know how much importance this has in choosing a racing bicycle but figured I'd post it up anyway.

  2. i recently came across a Scott bike in my local store. check them out they and nice.
    scottusa.comspeedster s30

  3. sweet! we're all glad you are interested in getting into cycling.

    There are plenty of quality biks you can find for $1000. Keep in mind, if you really get into it, you are probably going to want to get clip in pedals and shoes, so you might want to factor that into your price range.

    As far as specific brands, your local bike shop should be able to provide you many different options. I don't know where you are located or if these are available in your area, but Scattante, Giant, and Fuji, are all good brands with good prices.

    Being 6'4, thats pretty tall. I'm going to guess you are going to ride a size 60, 62, or 64 bike. Again, your local bike store will help you with that. You might have to order a bike that size, as bikes those sizes tend to not be carried inside the stores.

  4. jellyman said:

    Hey everyone,

    My parents are looking to buy me a graduation gift and I've decided that I'd reallllly like a nice bike.

    I want to stay active and eventually compete in races.

    I always watch the Tour de France and am interested in getting a cycle like that.

    What is the right name for that type of cycle? What are some top quality brands? The budget's around $1,000.

    I've looked at LeMond, but am interested in hearing all opinions.

    Please help! I really want to get involved in the sport!

    If it helps, I'm 6'4" and 177 pounds with long arms. Don't know how much importance this has in choosing a racing bicycle but figured I'd post it up anyway.


    page 1

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.