New to Cycling Need Advice

Particals

Nov 13, 2009
Hello there, first post on these forums, just decided to get into cycling because my doctor says that I need excersise or I'm going to die, and I have always liked cycling.

Im 22 years old and around 300 pounds, wondering what kind of road type bike would best suit my needs, I'm going to ride it every day at least 10-12 miles and I live on the beach, so I would like something that can handle that type of climate though it will be kept in a garage, looking to spend around 300$ would appreciate any suggestions.

Are you set on a road bike?

also this might be better posted in the Clydesdale forum since that forum is specificly for 200+lbs riders.

You might want to consider a hybrid, because it offers a more relaxed position, which could be of benefit for a while.

+1 on the hybrid to start out.

Once you get into better shape, then you can decide if cycling is something you're going to do alot of and what type of bike will best meet your long term needs.

I was in a similar situation to you and recommend a hybrid or a hardtail mountain bike with slick tires.

At weight like yours, you want to avoid low spoke count, light weight wheels. You want rear wheels that have at least 32 spokes. The front wheels are less critical as most of your weight will be on the rear tire.

You might be best served by looking for a used bike. Stay away from brands you find in Target, Walmart or K-Mart. A bike that was $900 2 years ago can often be had for $300. A tune up at a local bike shop runs $30 for adjustments to $100 with tires, tubes and cables. Check craigslist, your local newspaper, local bike shops and ebay (be careful there). I just bought my daughter an immaculate road bike that was about $1000 10 years ago for $40. All it needed was air in the tires.

There is a very active Clyde forum at http://www.bikeforums.net/offline.php?f=248 .

I also suggest a Hybrid. I started out cycling only about 5 years ago with a Walmart mountain bike!:eek::eek: I rode a Hybrid a few months later and the difference was unbeleivable! Immidiately purchased two Hybrids for me and my wife and rode them for a few years and loved them! They were really my introduction to the enjoyment to cycling. I caught the road bike bug a year ago and really enjoy that! Me and the wife will pull out the Hybrids on occasion and just relax, sight see and enjoy a great ride! They are great all around bikes!! If it wasn't for those Hybrids, I don't think we would still be in the cycling lifestyle.

Hope this helps, Mark