New to cycling, need buying advice

Justus

Oct 1, 2007
I am very new to cycling and I'd like to start. First of all I need this bike to serve two purposes. I am a college student and I ride my current bike to all of my classes. It is an old bike that was given to me and is just about to wear totally out. I would also like to start riding for fitness. I am a fairly heavy guy (280 lbs), I'm about 6'0 but I have relatively short arms and legs for my height. I have an option to buy a Trek 7100 for $100. The bike is in good condition by just eyeing it, but it will need a serious tune up. Is this the deal I should jump on, or should I go and buy a different bike?

Justus said:
The bike is in good condition by just eyeing it, but it will need a serious tune up. Is this the deal I should jump on, or should I go and buy a different bike?
For getting to class, and for $100, I would say that if you can put air in the tires , get it started and stopped, and get yourself reasonably comfortable on it, go for it. A used 7100 is a fine bike as long as you don't have to spend another $200 to make it ridable.

oldbobcat said:
For getting to class, and for $100, I would say that if you can put air in the tires , get it started and stopped, and get yourself reasonably comfortable on it, go for it. A used 7100 is a fine bike as long as you don't have to spend another $200 to make it ridable.
yeah, it's enough to get a used one for a college student