New to Cycling - Seat is KILLING ME!

One thing I realized is that the softer the seat is, the more painful it will eventually become when you ride on it for a long time. I have learned to select those seats which are firmer, because it means it provides you with more support and therefore, less pain after a while. I have actually experimented on a few shapes and sizes of the seat and it's not really dependent on that. It's really with how firm the seat is. Also, I prefer those which are made of real leather because it tends to cause less friction on the skin.

Reactions: steve
I actually disagree with that, sure, it has to be firm, but it doesn't has to be hard. Our behind needs to be well supported there, the right muscles in the right places or else pain will come later.

How wide your hips & Kardashian assets really decides what a comfortable seat would be. I have said assets & regardless of the rest of me getting smaller my backside doesn't follow suit. My bike shop has a great 30 day policy for returns & I utilize it through the seasons to find the one that's most comfortable for me.

That is a good tip Joan and in fact our anatomy will determine the best seat for us. I am surprised that you can return a seat after using it for 30 days, how can they sell it again?

This option isn't available to every seat they're selling but they do have an eclectic array. I make them aware I want to test out the seat prior to purchase (out of courtesy) & because they also rent bikes they have previously used options which is what I'm given to test. i'm sure I could use the brand new options because of the pre-existing 30 day policy covering all items but that seems like a jerk move when I don't mind testing something used.

Yes, that makes more sense. Actually they do that with used tennis rackets, we get to test a model before we buy it, so it's good for business if they are able to do that.

It's true that when you ride on the bike for the first time it always has some uncomfortable but you can always get rid of it by getting used to it. when i started riding my back used to hurt a lot but now i have got used to it it is only a matter of time. i think if you get some extra fittings to your seat it may help a little bit for a matter of time.

Yeah, that's true shilpa, our bottom builds muscle and after that we don't even notice it anymore. A good seat helps too though. ;)

Yes it's true that for some time your bottom will hurt quite a little. But you must be careful to not make it worse. It should not lead to something like slip disk and definitely not to backpain.

I don't know if it can lead to a slip disk, I feel that most of the times it's just newbies getting butt muscle and that it will go away in a matter of weeks.

I've just said this before. Make sure that your seat is right for your bottom. We're all shaped different. It doesn't mean if someone has a great seat its perfect for you. Also invest in some gel covers.

I've just said this before. Make sure that your seat is right for your bottom. We're all shaped different. It doesn't mean if someone has a great seat its perfect for you. Also invest in some gel covers.

Usually a great seat is a great seat regardless of your bottom lol. Basically a good quality material and a good shape will do the trick. If that's the case gel covers are not necessary.

doiturself said:
A good part of it is just conditioning. It can take months to get used to cycling and pressure points are painful. There is no perfect seat and only time and experience and conditioning will lead you to the best combo for you.
That's not very good news, lol. I am not looking forward to this aspect of cycling. I was already worried because I have such a boney butt.

I always smile when I see the title for this thread because I had the exact same problems long years ago, but nothing a new seat didn't solve. Sure, the muscles always play a part too, they need to adjust to the new needs of the body.

My bike has a wide, cushioned seat that never gives me any grief. But then my bike is for cruising around the city and not a sports bike. Whenever I use my boyfriend's bike I install my seat on it, no matter how strange it looks. I often wonder about people who are concerned about a certain type of seat not "fitting" a certain type of bike. It sounds ridiculous to me. Why would I want to suffer for appearances' sake?
I hope you will find the right seat for you and begin to enjoy your daily rides. :)