New To Cycling / What Products Do I Really Need?

Never bothered with this as I always weared jogging bottoms... But I've heard it's essential to windproof your knees if it's cold outside or rather windy.

This is a good thread. While I already figured out the need for a helmet and lock, I never considered some of the other things. For example, I thought cycling clothes were really only meant for aerodynamics and therefore not really all that important. I probably should have guessed they'd have padding and pockets.

How much do you guys think you should spend on overall on accessories such as tools, lights and other essentials? As I ride more, I want to pick up all of these things but I'd like to know how much to budget.

I'm just "re-starting" and hoping to get my bike back from the shop soon. I seem to have spent this so far:

All prices in U. S. Dollars

$65.00 -- Bell Event helmet
$24.00 -- replacement 3 liter water bladder, Platypus brand, but I know the bite valve is awful. Camelbak's products are better.
$15.00 -- socks
$6.00 -- one reflective ankle band
$8.00 -- one freeze dried meal
$24.00 -- digital subscription to Bicycling
$4.50 -- energy gels
$4.00 -- Bobo's oat bars

Bicycling magazine sends me at least 2 emails per day to push their book products or "inform" me about cycling (with an overload of advertising blasting at me via my web browser). I'm a little sorry I subscribed to Bicycling. The content seems to be mostiy advertising in any case. Almost no useful, unbiased articles for a beginner like me.

Plus I'll spend about $200 or so for the actual bike tune up and repair.

So I'm pumping a lot of my money into this "sport". And I haven't pedaled a centimeter yet.

Bob

I think you must be having a fair idea by now but I want to stress the fact that you are accountable for keeping yourself safe at all times. This means looking out on the road in front of you, or if there is no road where you go, on the terrain right in front.

As a beginner, most of what you'll need is safety based. Aside from a bike itself, you'll need a helmet. Then maybe some knee and elbow pads. And of course reflectors and maybe a headlight for when it gets too dark to see the roads

I don't know a single person who rides on the road with knee and elbow pads. :blink:

Unless you're talking about mountain biking.

blastguardgear said:
And of course reflectors and maybe a headlight for when it gets too dark to see the roads
It might happen that in your country you are obliged to use this stuff all the time/in particular situations.

A kit to fix a flat tire is a must. If you do not have one, chances are you will eventually be stranded an hour from home with a flat tire and no way to fix it and as luck will have it you will probably have forgotten your phone at home too so you will swear and sigh and eventually see your only option and begin a very shameful trudge pushing your bike back home while hoping one of the passing vehicles will stop and give you a lift but of course they won't because one of those jerks on a bike now walking his sweating ass home is the height of comedy and did I mention that you should buy a water bottle too because if you don't have one along you will soon have sweat pouring down your face especially if you live in a warm climate which will only make that now humbled cyclist trudging home all the funnier to those in air conditioned vehicles.

On an unrelated topic, I bet you can't guess what happened to me on my last ride. :(