New to Cycling

fastredhead42

Jul 13, 2007
Hey everyone i'm brand new to cycling and want to get a road bike. I'm a distance runner that has always admired the sport of cycling and I want to start. Being new to the sport I don't know what kind of bike to look for, where to find a descent bike, or how much they're going to cost. I don't want to spend a lot amount of money because i'm just starting out. Can anyone help me out?

Please give us some clues, like price range, riding purpose, etc... Otherwise you will not get answers.

ttopaz said:
Please give us some clues, like price range, riding purpose, etc... Otherwise you will not get answers.
Not sure where to post this since it's not letting me post my own topic. I would like to start biking myself and have several bikes that I picked up through the years of just recreational biking. I want to sell some of them and keep one or two for myself, I tried to look up pricing but it has been quite confusing so I thought I'd try this forum.

Not sure if any of these would even be good enough for getting into more serious biking and I'm going to sound completely clueless on this, because I am. Perhaps just directing me to some good books on the subject would be helpful.

The one bike I have I won at a raffle last year. It says Shimano on the frame and on the gears and nothing anywhere else. Not sure how to measure the frame size but it seems good for me and I'm 5'5". It's a mountain bike. Mens frame

Another I got from my ex husband who purchased it from someone else. He said it was an expensive bike in it's day. He bought it about 10 years ago. It says City Lite one and Citysport. I'm guessing by the wheels that it's a road bike since they are skinnier than the mountain but not to thin. Mens frame. It's smaller than the above frame.

The last bike I'm thinking of using or selling is a smaller womans mountain bike that I got from my friend who was only 5'2". I may give this one to my mom. It says Apache and Pacific on it.

How do I find out a reasonable price to sell these for and most importantly, which one would be best to keep for myself.

ttopaz said:
I'm a guy, 6'1", price range $400 or under, I want a road bike, mainly to ride on the roads around my house as a cross training method because I am a distance runner. Maybe someday i'll enter some races or do a duatholon or triatholon. I just want a descent road bike that is cheap.

fastredhead42 said:
I'm a guy, 6'1", price range $400 or under, I want a road bike, mainly to ride on the roads around my house as a cross training method because I am a distance runner. Maybe someday i'll enter some races or do a duatholon or triatholon. I just want a descent road bike that is cheap.
good luck finding a decent road bike for under $400... i've tried. you're gonna spend well over $600 for a decent one at a bike shop. i was looking at the giant ocr3 ($650), specialized allez double ($699), and raleigh grand prix ($500+). most important about buying a bike is that it fits you right. you should stand over the top tube and if there's ample space between the tube and your crotch... you're good. don't be suckered into buying a bike where the shop is offering a crazy discounted price and the bike doesn't fit you. once you've decided that the bike fits you... go on ebay and find that same bike, same size!

i agree, your not gonna find a road bike worth it under $400, youll end up selling it for half what you payed for and buying one that cost more...

I purchased a specialized allez triple last fall, $524 closeout price ('06 model) they go for around $700 right now for the '07, and the '08s will be out soon. However, i didnt go into the shop and just hop on the cheapest closeout bike. I looked, knew i wanted a specialized (it was a good idea for me), and got real lucky finding one that fit me, on the clearance rack :) i was exstatic to say the least!

Dont buy off e-bay. chances are you have NO idea how to set it up or tune it out of the box, which will end up taking any money you saved and spending it on the local bike shop like you should have in the first place. I have built a bike from parts. But I was young, crazy, and have a good mechanical ability. And, a decent shop will treat you good for years to come, and always have answers to your questions.

by the way, i still have two MTBs i pieced together from parts (one was all new, one was all used). they function probably as good as any bike from the LBS would. but I cant tune a bike as fast as they can. Takes me some time and a few words i dont dare repeat :)

I'm thinking of getting either a Schwinn Seneca($289.99) or a Schwinn Volare 700c($229.99). Anyone have any ideas on these bikes???

spydernyc said:
most important about buying a bike is that it fits you right. you should stand over the top tube and if there's ample space between the tube and your crotch... you're good.
I wouldn't say that is a proper fitting. I actually find the standover height the least of my concerns with a fitting. I think the top tube length is much more important than the standover height. But, you don't want a bike so big that you need to lean the bike over a lot to get on or off.

SweetLou said:
I wouldn't say that is a proper fitting. I actually find the standover height the least of my concerns with a fitting. I think the top tube length is much more important than the standover height. But, you don't want a bike so big that you need to lean the bike over a lot to get on or off.
im usually not concerned with the top tube length as you could always change the stem to be longer or shorter.

Reading all these posts by newcomers to cycling I'm surprised no-one has mentioned joining a cycling club. I live in England and learned most of what I know of bike gear, touring, training, etc., by belonging to a club. I don't know if there are the same oportunites in America or Australia, but clubs still seem fairly plentiful in Europe - perhaps someone can correct me? The help and advice (good and bad!) available in a club is invaluable. It helps when you do want to buy a used bike! Not being a competitive cyclist now I'm older I'm notso fired up by the latest bikes - I like them, or rather I like the more expensive ones (don't we all?), but I also like the older steel bikes. I recently bought an Italian racing bike -Somec - at the local flea market in Spain for 60 Euros (£40?). Back home I stripped it, sprayed it, cleaned all components and rebuilt it. All I had to buy was a saddle and brake levers. Total cost was £60, not counting paint, tape, etc. Frame is Colmbus SL, Shimano 600 groupset, Look pedals and sprints and tubs. Now, I know all you youngsters are going to laugh your socks off at this old guy and his old bike, but it's the best bargain I've ever had! It only weighs 21 lbs, too. And I was only able to take advantage of this because I had gained experience over the years. I could have spent £400 on a new, more modern, lower quality bike. Sorry to ramble on so much, but asking on this forum what sort, or which make of bike is best is not going to help that much. With the best will in the world you really need a knowledgeable friend to look at bikes with you. Forums are great but can only give general advice as they don't know you. So, join a club if you can. And best of luck.
mongooseboy said:
i agree, your not gonna find a road bike worth it under $400, youll end up selling it for half what you payed for and buying one that cost more...

I purchased a specialized allez triple last fall, $524 closeout price ('06 model) they go for around $700 right now for the '07, and the '08s will be out soon. However, i didnt go into the shop and just hop on the cheapest closeout bike. I looked, knew i wanted a specialized (it was a good idea for me), and got real lucky finding one that fit me, on the clearance rack :) i was exstatic to say the least!

Dont buy off e-bay. chances are you have NO idea how to set it up or tune it out of the box, which will end up taking any money you saved and spending it on the local bike shop like you should have in the first place. I have built a bike from parts. But I was young, crazy, and have a good mechanical ability. And, a decent shop will treat you good for years to come, and always have answers to your questions.

by the way, i still have two MTBs i pieced together from parts (one was all new, one was all used). they function probably as good as any bike from the LBS would. but I cant tune a bike as fast as they can. Takes me some time and a few words i dont dare repeat :)