new to cycling

valvan

Jul 21, 2009
ok so i have recently decided to enter the world of cycling. Im looking to buy my first road bike this year and i want to go into some category 5 races. As of right now im running around confused:confused:. I went to the local trek deal and they weren't any help because all the employees seem to know plenty about mountain bikes but not much about road bikes they really just pointed to the bikes that are in my price range. Which is 800-900 maybe more if i can work out a deal such as for Christmas i ask everyone to help me purchase my bike. as of right now im looking at the trek 1.2 and have read many reviews on it saying theirs problems with the fd.. the sales person also pointed to a specialized langster (don't remember the specific one off the top of my head) and then im going to check out the giant defy 3. Also i haven't heard much about these brands but im thinking about checking out a felt f95, raleigh brand i have rei local, and maybe a CAAD8 s 8(thats at the top of the budget). Beyond the buget im leaving room for new tires because sometimes the stock ones have flat troubles, shoes and pedals and then racing fees. so if anyone could offer their opinions that would be great.

Have you considered buying used? You can get a lot more bike for your money. Just be sure to know your proper bike size and educate yourself regarding bike quality. Check your local Craigslist and ask us questions if you see any potential good buys.

i have considered buying used but i think id feel safer buying from a bike shop for my first road bike.

800-900 you could get Scott Speedster S60 or a Trek 1.2. I got the scott, and bro lemme tell you, I'm glad I did. You should just test ride different bikes multipul times to make up your mind, which is what I did.

valvan said:
ok so i have recently decided to enter the world of cycling. Im looking to buy my first road bike this year and i want to go into some category 5 races. As of right now im running around confused:confused:. I went to the local trek deal and they weren't any help because all the employees seem to know plenty about mountain bikes but not much about road bikes they really just pointed to the bikes that are in my price range. Which is 800-900 maybe more if i can work out a deal such as for Christmas i ask everyone to help me purchase my bike. as of right now im looking at the trek 1.2 and have read many reviews on it saying theirs problems with the fd.. the sales person also pointed to a specialized langster (don't remember the specific one off the top of my head) and then im going to check out the giant defy 3. Also i haven't heard much about these brands but im thinking about checking out a felt f95, raleigh brand i have rei local, and maybe a CAAD8 s 8(thats at the top of the budget). Beyond the buget im leaving room for new tires because sometimes the stock ones have flat troubles, shoes and pedals and then racing fees. so if anyone could offer their opinions that would be great.
Isn't the Langster a single-speed? Is that what you want?

JaredSanders said:
800-900 you could get Scott Speedster S60 or a Trek 1.2. I got the scott, and bro lemme tell you, I'm glad I did. You should just test ride different bikes multipul times to make up your mind, which is what I did.

the part im confused on also is say the scott speedster s50 and the s40 their is a price difference of about $100 would it be worth it?

valvan said:
the part im confused on also is say the scott speedster s50 and the s40 their is a price difference of about $100 would it be worth it?

I doubt that you could find any good reason for the extra 100. Performance wise, they will be the same. But who know, you have to ride them each to pick.

JaredSanders said:
I doubt that you could find any good reason for the extra 100. Performance wise, they will be the same. But who know, you have to ride them each to pick.

i guess, im going out tomorrow to test ride more bikes, i never realized how many brands their are until i actually started looking.