New To Cycling

offtheback53

Oct 6, 2015
I am just starting to cycle and I am wondering what is a good length of a ride and what my speed should be. Right now am riding for an hour and am averaging 16 mph on those rides.

Just ride until you have had enough for the day. If you are like me you will feel sore for a while, but that is a good thing. Give yourself one day off from riding per week. If you ride like this for several weeks, doing a little more mileage each week, and work on hills, you will notice a fine training effect.

With that offered as my personal opinion, be aware that I'm a beginner too. I'm trying to become a bicycling commuter. I have a head start on you, but not much of one. I have a lot to learn. I certainly am learning.

Thanks a ton

Bob

You're doing great. Keep at it. Try adding 10 minutes per day, each week. It's also important to give your body time to recover, so, don't ride every ride as hard as you can. And take one day a week off entirely, Or just go out and soft pedal for fun, like you were riding with your kids.

Right now your speed is actually faster than I would have expected.

That is a pretty good speed to average at over an hour.

What speed and for how long/what distance you ride is really entuirely down to your own preferences and how you're feeling. There's no goal saying you have to ride so far in how fast a time. Just take things easy, go at your own pace and if you feel like you want to do things different then experiment until you find your perfect groove as the saying goes.

Also remember that cycling is meant to be a fun thing to do. Don't get yourself into a situation where cycling becomes a chore ;)

All the best! :)

My best sustained speed seems 13-ish mph. I can do bursts of 19-20 mph for short periods. 16 mph on a sustained basis is pretty good.

Bob

My best sustained speed seems to be around 12 mph and that's just on a leisurely ride. I'm not sure how much faster I would be if I pushed it. That would be something I would have to give a try one day.

That's a good speed for a beginner. I am mostly driving at 15mph-20mph depending on a incline and weather conditions. In addition, when I started I cycled 10 miles at a time and now after a few months I am doing trips of 20 miles occasionally.