New To Cycling

Seamless

Jan 15, 2004
hi i am new to bike rideing i suppose i a bit young

i am 15 years old and have alwase enjoyed cycling but now i want to take it up a notch and get seirous

but i dont know anything about cycling

i have ridden Mountian Bikes all my life

but i think i am gettin into road bikes tho i have never ridden one
it the whole i dear so light and small and there more road than bush where i live

can anyone give me some tips on where to begin or any thing that will help?

Well, you are starting at a good age. Unfortunately there are a LOT of things that are gonna get thrown your way in the next few years. It is amazing how many top caliber cyclists just fade away as they go to high school and college. Girls, driving, partying, and homework seem to cause them to lose focus on cycling.

If you are serious. Get a bike that you are proud of and would enjoy riding for a while. Doesn't have to be top dollar, but one thats gonna make you proud and have fun riding. Get involved with a team or a junior development group, then start to race. If you put the pedal to the metal, you can have some fantastic gains in the next few years. At your age and through your early 20's... you are gonna be able to grow and recover faster than most of us old farts. If you get a little bit of success, I have a feeling it will stick with you. But getting involved early and having supportive friends and parents is key at your age.

In the US, kids dont really have cycling as a choice... for the most part. They are steered towards, basketball, soccer, football, baseball or wrestling.... or to track and cross country ( after which many make a logical change to cycling). Just grasp any local organization or group that you can learn from and see if it sticks. I certanly hope so, and wish you the best of luck.

Chris

I don't have much to add to what Funk said, but I will stress a couple of things he mentioned.

First, find someone to ride with!! I started when I was 15 and my riding partner was my dad. We joined a club a few months into it and it's one of the most important things. Go to your local bike shop and just talk to some people, pick up fliers, and go to some of the big organized rides. It's a blast.

And watch out for those girls!!! They will pull you away and you won't even notice for a long time ;)
:D

dont stay away from girls, just chase girls that ride bikes...

Chase girls in cars:D That will certainly make you faster.

Seriously tho, If you have a club in your area I would look into it. There's nothing like riding with a group to help train and motivate you

Originally posted by JoeRider
Chase girls in cars:D That will certainly make you faster.

;) Never got my car license, yeah.....anyway.... I wasn't cycling at your age (15) mostly because of peoples attitudes and the bike fashions of the time, ie: 10 speed steel frame road bikes to big for me (late 70's)

Started pedalling away at 3-4 years old, gave up at 12, started again in late 20's. Now it's easier to find a small road frame, but I wish that BMX's were more common when I was 12! Would of kept going on the dragster, then BMX, then early MTB etc.

Good luck and hope you find a suitable club and incentive to keep going, don't let anyone criticise or put you off cycling like what happened to me ! ;)

thanks guys, there are a few junior clubs around

i reali like riding in whiteman park, great senery but have to ride with my HEAVY mountian bike

i fogot to mention that i live in Perth, Australia

;)