new to discs - squeeky when wet !



S

Steve Walton

Guest
Just replaced bike, now have Hydro Discs
First time wet - muddy water, gentle wash down afterwards

now they squeek !
I've checked, cleaned and dried the discs
but they still squeek,

do I just apply a little pressure and wait for the pads to dry out ?

Steve
 
J

Just zis Guy, you know?

Guest
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 20:40:28 GMT, [email protected] (Steve
Walton) wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>now they squeek !
>I've checked, cleaned and dried the discs
>but they still squeek,
>do I just apply a little pressure and wait for the pads to dry out ?


One good hammering of the brakes and the squeaking stops, IME.

Guy
--
May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington University
 
S

Steve Walton

Guest
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:07:26 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 20:40:28 GMT, [email protected] (Steve
>Walton) wrote in message <[email protected]>:
>
>>now they squeek !
>>I've checked, cleaned and dried the discs
>>but they still squeek,
>>do I just apply a little pressure and wait for the pads to dry out ?

>
>One good hammering of the brakes and the squeaking stops, IME.
>

cheers, I've been round the block and they are better
now, after bikes been indoors a hour or so
there is still a slight grip on the disc

first experience of discs, so Im wary of removing pads just to check
ie it shouldn't be necessary should it ?

Steve
 
J

Just zis Guy, you know?

Guest
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:25:11 GMT, [email protected] (Steve
Walton) wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>>One good hammering of the brakes and the squeaking stops, IME.


>cheers, I've been round the block and they are better
>now, after bikes been indoors a hour or so
>there is still a slight grip on the disc


Known in the motor trade as an "Italian tune-up" ;-)

Well, sort of. That involves taking some old dear's prized possession
out for a Grade 1 Novaboy thrash.

>first experience of discs, so Im wary of removing pads just to check
>ie it shouldn't be necessary should it ?


I don't take them out until they are knackered myself, but this may be
poor practice.

Guy
--
May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington University
 
S

Simon Brooke

Guest
in message <[email protected]>, Steve Walton
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Just replaced bike, now have Hydro Discs
> First time wet - muddy water, gentle wash down afterwards
>
> now they squeek !
> I've checked, cleaned and dried the discs
> but they still squeek,


Yes, they do, some makes worse than others. My Hayes HFX-9s are
reasonably quiet, but not exceptional in any other ways. Hope Minis,
which are very good brakes, tend to squeak badly. Cleaning the rotors
with methylated spirit does help a lot.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

' ' <------- this blank intentionally spaced left
 
P

Paul - xxx

Guest
Steve Walton vaguely muttered something like ...
> Just replaced bike, now have Hydro Discs
> First time wet - muddy water, gentle wash down afterwards
>
> now they squeek !
> I've checked, cleaned and dried the discs
> but they still squeek,
>
> do I just apply a little pressure and wait for the pads to dry out ?


That can help .. ;)

Best thing I found is to use a little Copper based anti-seize grease on the
pad sliding areas and pins.

Copaslip is good .. but use it very sparingly and don't get any on or near
the braking surfaces. A small tin will last a lifetime .. ;)


--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules !!!
"A ****** is a ******, no matter what mode of transport they're using."
 
S

Steve Walton

Guest
On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 13:35:07 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
wrote:

>in message <[email protected]>, Steve Walton
>('[email protected]com') wrote:
>
>> Just replaced bike, now have Hydro Discs
>> First time wet - muddy water, gentle wash down afterwards
>>
>> now they squeek !
>> I've checked, cleaned and dried the discs
>> but they still squeek,

>
>Yes, they do, some makes worse than others. My Hayes HFX-9s are
>reasonably quiet, but not exceptional in any other ways. Hope Minis,
>which are very good brakes, tend to squeak badly. Cleaning the rotors
>with methylated spirit does help a lot.
>
>--

cheers, I hammered them hard and they are better, had issue with the
pads just gripping - better now they've dried.
rear discs had the same brake dust-dirt on them that rims used to get
so I'll try the meths..


Steve