New to forum and sport(I got some questios)

cubbies11

May 7, 2004
Hey everyone I am new to the road racing sport and am wondering, since I am a college student and don't have any money, can I get a bike for under $800 that will get me inshape and be able to stay competative in races without having to update in the transition. If it is possible what would you recommend.

Thank You

Cubbies

Originally posted by cubbies11
Hey everyone I am new to the road racing sport and am wondering, since I am a college student and don't have any money, can I get a bike for under $800 that will get me inshape and be able to stay competative in races without having to update in the transition. If it is possible what would you recommend.

Thank You

Cubbies

Let me be the first to say welcome aboard. Next stop is going to a few local bike shops (LBS) to see the selections & check the fit. I prefer Trek's over all the rest but you can't really go wrong with the other major companies out there. The biggest item is how does the bike fit.
Check on line for sites like Bicycling magazines web site & others for reviews and average prices. Shop around & you may get lucky & find a 2003 road bike that cost 1200 dollars and get it for around 800.
The biggest item to be competive is you - unless you get to a certain base of fitness you won't be competitive no matter how much you spend on a bike. I would give you a couple of years of getting in shape, racing (hopefully doing well) and then it will be time for a new bike.
Again welcome aboard & best of luck.

SLS is absolutely right...fitness fitness fitness! You can get by on a good used racing bike or at least a good set of racing wheels, and keep working on your riding.