New to forum:How to finish project bike...

LouisN

Feb 9, 2007
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum. Great place. I started to build a bike last fall. I want to get back into road cycling and maybe a little racing (mostly short but fast criteriums). I bought a Specialized S-Works E5 (used) with RaceFace crankset and a couple more pieces. I would like to have advice because I havent followed cycling for the last 17 years, and there's too many brands out there. My budget is limited, but I would like to have the best quality and durability for my buck.
1 st: the wheels. I was leaning for Mavic Ksirium Equipe or just Aksium race. But all those names I don't know (FSA, Ritchey,Fulcrum,...), are they good, better for the money?
2 nd: shifters/derailleurs. Campy Centaur or Shimano 105 ? The Campy Centaur shifters are a lot cheaper than ultegra, even 105. What about the derailleurs?
Eager to hear from your experiences guys and girls.
LouisN

If durability and price is a concern, go to a reputable bike shop and get a pair of wheels made to order. The price will be in the same range as pre-made wheels and the quality/reliability will be better. Ambrosio or Mavic rims with whatever hub you choose.

As for Campagnolo-Shimano, welcome to a war of religions (just do a search on this forum...).

You need to compare the equivalent groups in the two line-ups. I would venture to say that Veloce/Centaur lines up with 105/Ultegra. Dura Ace lines up with Chorus (price/weight/performance wise) and Record is kind of on its own (weight/price wise). [This is a personal view, others may feel differently.]

Start with your price point, then choose the one with the brifters that you feel more comfortable with. You will not go wrong with either Campagnolo or Shimano.

Happy shopping and riding!

Thanks Pete,

But in my area, good bike mechanics are rare, if not non-existing. The THREE times I had small adjustments to make, the part ended up in worst state than it was before. So I will never ask any of them to build wheels for me.

That said, I'm looking for the best wheels possible, coming out of the box, by constructor.
Thanks again,
LouisN

LouisN said:
Thanks Pete,

But in my area, good bike mechanics are rare, if not non-existing. The THREE times I had small adjustments to make, the part ended up in worst state than it was before. So I will never ask any of them to build wheels for me.

That said, I'm looking for the best wheels possible, coming out of the box, by constructor.
Thanks again,
LouisN
Centaur will outlast a 105 in the shifter department (everywhere else is just about even). As for the wheelsets, if you're going for Centaur then get the 2006 Campagnolo Ventos for about $190, durable, light enuf for the price, excellent bearings and overall good quality in this price range. It will also match you're kit.