New to Forum & need help to pick a bike!

lauriecj

Jun 24, 2005
I am a 53 yr. old, 5'8" slightly overweight woman, who wants to buy a bike to use for recreation and exercise. I work out every day with weights and cardio, and used to love to walk, until I developed Plantar Fasciitus(?). Have traded in my treadmill, but discovered I really like the upright stationary bike at the gym. However, I REALLY miss the outdoors and fresh air. I have NOT been on a bike for, well okay, 40 years!! Have been looking at a Giant Sedona. We are blessed here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada with awesome green spaces and bike paths. Any advice you can offer this woman who misses the outdoors! :cool:

lauriecj said:
I am a 53 yr. old, 5'8" slightly overweight woman, who wants to buy a bike to use for recreation and exercise. I work out every day with weights and cardio, and used to love to walk, until I developed Plantar Fasciitus(?). Have traded in my treadmill, but discovered I really like the upright stationary bike at the gym. However, I REALLY miss the outdoors and fresh air. I have NOT been on a bike for, well okay, 40 years!! Have been looking at a Giant Sedona. We are blessed here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada with awesome green spaces and bike paths. Any advice you can offer this woman who misses the outdoors! :cool:
Check out the Trek Navigator. They will be great to start. Ir you might consider any of the 700c Hybrid bikes. I have a 7300 with suspension seatpost and fork. It's about as fast or as slow as you may want.

gclark8 said:
A ladies style comfort bike, smilar to a mountin bike, say a Giant Sedona would suite you well, get a bike shop to check the size, probably a 17" frame, slick or semi slick tyres are an advantage, easier pedaling. The suspension forks and seat post add to the comfort factor.

http://www.giantbicycles.net/au/030.000.000/030.010.000.asp?year=2005&model=9897 click on "ladies" :)

This one in a US model: http://www.giant-bicycle.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.006.asp?model=11048
Thanks. I went and looked at Sedonas today. Only found a 19" which the salesperson said I should be able to handle. Went to a different shop, where the salesman said "no way". Too big. He pointed me in the direction of the Cypress. What do you think?

No to the Cypress, it has 700c wheels and will be more difficult to spin up to speed, keep with 26" wheels for a recreational ladies bike.

No to the 19" Sedona, they are for 6' ladies, they are quite long in the "top tube" measurement. Ask him to buy-in a 17", make sure it is the 8 speed with rapid fire shifters.
My GF has one, it goes like a pocket rocket. She is 51 years of age and 4'11", it is the XS 14" size with slicks and road gearing and a Cateye Australe computer. I am 5'7" and the 17" is just nice, my old 18" Comfort/MTB was too big for me.

lauriecj said:
Thanks. I went and looked at Sedonas today. Only found a 19" which the salesperson said I should be able to handle. Went to a different shop, where the salesman said "no way". Too big. He pointed me in the direction of the Cypress. What do you think?
I have a twenty inch hybrid and I'm 5'9. You said your 5'8 so take it for a test ride and see if it's comfortable. One thing is you may want a shorter top tube so then you may want a smaller one. Of course most hybrids have adjustable stems.
Its been my experience that the largest bike I can fit under me then the more comfortable the ride is. I hope you can contact some women as to their opinion. The main thing when you go for a test ride is make sure you don't feel cramped or overly stretched out. A good LBS will help you there. A lousy LBS will sell you what they have and not worry about it. Ask around the people at the gym your at as to what LBS is best. That is much more important than the brand or model of bike you choose.
Also go to rivbike.com or sheldonbrown.com for advice on sizing if you don't feel you can trust your local bike shop.

wrench said:
I have a twenty inch hybrid and I'm 5'9. You said your 5'8 so take it for a test ride and see if it's comfortable. One thing is you may want a shorter top tube so then you may want a smaller one. Of course most hybrids have adjustable stems.
Its been my experience that the largest bike I can fit under me then the more comfortable the ride is. I hope you can contact some women as to their opinion. The main thing when you go for a test ride is make sure you don't feel cramped or overly stretched out. A good LBS will help you there. A lousy LBS will sell you what they have and not worry about it. Ask around the people at the gym your at as to what LBS is best. That is much more important than the brand or model of bike you choose.
Also go to rivbike.com or sheldonbrown.com for advice on sizing if you don't feel you can trust your local bike shop.
Have you checked the geometry? http://www.giant-bicycle.com/us/cat...=popup&popuptype=geometry-image&modelid=11048 59cm effective top tube length on the 19", way too long for a 5'8" lady. It is not a Hybrid road bike, it is a mtb style comfort bike with a compact frame. The 17" with effective top tube of 57cm is still quite long. The 17" has a 20mm shorter head tube than the 19", so the reach should be easier.

A couple of test rides should help. :)

gclark8 said:
Have you checked the geometry? http://www.giant-bicycle.com/us/catalogue_popup.asp?sPageID=popup&popuptype=geometry-image&modelid=11048 59cm effective top tube length on the 19", way too long for a 5'8" lady. It is not a Hybrid road bike, it is a mtb style comfort bike with a compact frame. The 17" with effective top tube of 57cm is still quite long. The 17" has a 20mm shorter head tube than the 19", so the reach should be easier.

A couple of test rides should help. :)
Well a test ride is the best way to decide what size to get. There's less than an inch differince in headtubes and and toptubes, it would surprise me if she wasn't more comfortable on the larger. Everyone makes a big deal over 20mm. it only sounda like a lot but 20 mm or 2cm comes out to only 3/4 of an inch. Relax.

gclark8 said:
No to the Cypress, it has 700c wheels and will be more difficult to spin up to speed, keep with 26" wheels for a recreational ladies bike.

No to the 19" Sedona, they are for 6' ladies, they are quite long in the "top tube" measurement. Ask him to buy-in a 17", make sure it is the 8 speed with rapid fire shifters.
My GF has one, it goes like a pocket rocket. She is 51 years of age and 4'11", it is the XS 14" size with slicks and road gearing and a Cateye Australe computer. I am 5'7" and the 17" is just nice, my old 18" Comfort/MTB was too big for me.
Thanks for the great advice. So far, every bike shop in town doesn't have a 17" Sedona, and they say because it is "late in the season" they can't order one in. So, I have no choice but to wait until the new models come out.

I understand what you mean by taking it for a test drive. The only problem with that, is I just don't feel real confident at this stage in the game, so I'm afraid I wouldn't really know what to look for, as I would be too busy trying not to fall off and embarrass myself in front of onlookers at the store!! ha ha

I must admit when I got on the 19" Sedona in the store, it didn't feel too bad, but then the other SP told me that I should have a slight bend in my arm...not be overextended. So, I guess I'll go back and take a closer look at that. What did you think about the suggestion for the Trek Navigator? And that is a GREAT suggestion to ask around at the gym. I will do that as well.

Thanks to both you gentlemen (I'm making an assumption here!) for your advice. I really appreciate it.

lauriecj said:
Thanks for the great advice. So far, every bike shop in town doesn't have a 17" Sedona, and they say because it is "late in the season" they can't order one in. So, I have no choice but to wait until the new models come out.

I understand what you mean by taking it for a test drive. The only problem with that, is I just don't feel real confident at this stage in the game, so I'm afraid I wouldn't really know what to look for, as I would be too busy trying not to fall off and embarrass myself in front of onlookers at the store!! ha ha

I must admit when I got on the 19" Sedona in the store, it didn't feel too bad, but then the other SP told me that I should have a slight bend in my arm...not be overextended. So, I guess I'll go back and take a closer look at that. What did you think about the suggestion for the Trek Navigator? And that is a GREAT suggestion to ask around at the gym. I will do that as well.

You don't want your arms stretched out, but it might be possible that the LBS would change the stem for you so that you would have a slight bend in your arm. That should be done at no cost to you.

Thanks to both you gentlemen (I'm making an assumption here!) for your advice. I really appreciate it.

You don't want your arms to be stretched out. You could ask to have the stem replaced at no charge if that would do the job. If the LBS won't change the stem to insure that it's sized right, you may want to take your business elsewhere.

The 2006 Sedona is out in Aus already so it won't be far away from your local shop. I am not surprised they are left with the less popular 19" frame sizes at the end of the season. Was the Cypress you looked at a 17"?

gclark8 said:
The 2006 Sedona is out in Aus already so it won't be far away from your local shop. I am not surprised they are left with the less popular 19" frame sizes at the end of the season. Was the Cypress you looked at a 17"?
Yes, it was.