new to forum, with questions about ss.

John Q Public

Sep 19, 2004
Hi I am a 47 year old male, 6ft. 2in. 280 lbs. with a bad neck and right shoulder. Thinking about some type of steel single speed road bike for a first bike after a 30+ year gap in riding. I am thinking I will need to be in the most upright position possible because of neck and shoulder. Also fatter 700c tires to support my weight and lower gearing until I can start getting back in shape. [QUESTIONS] Am I on the right track ? and if so how do I get started ? THANKS.

John Q Public said:
Hi I am a 47 year old male, 6ft. 2in. 280 lbs. with a bad neck and right shoulder. Thinking about some type of steel single speed road bike for a first bike after a 30+ year gap in riding. I am thinking I will need to be in the most upright position possible because of neck and shoulder. Also fatter 700c tires to support my weight and lower gearing until I can start getting back in shape. [QUESTIONS] Am I on the right track ? and if so how do I get started ? THANKS.

I would say that you'd be better off with a hybrid bike with the more upright stance and better gearing options. Single speed is great but for starting out you might think twice. Getting up any sort of hill on a single speed is not as easy, and depending on your strength in your legs, could pu undue stress on your knees. If you are SURE you want single speed, then by all means go for it and look at places online where you can get a single speed road bike. You might call some local bike shops too, see what they say. The important thing in any case is get a bike that fits you well.

John Q Public said:
Be sure and look at the Specialized Sequoia bicycle. Nice and upright, comfortable position, but quick - it was my first bike.

John Q Public said:

Where do you live? Is it hilly? SS is very hard on the knees and legs, espcially when hilly. As you have not ridden for a long time I would advise you aganist a SS for now. A nice hybrid with upright position and good gearing should get you going. Visit your local bike shop and get a well fitted bike, essential if you haven't ridden for a while and are a big dude.

Where I live is almost all flat. Lots of paved bike paths, also flat. From what I have read it really makes me want to stay away from geared bikes. Something simple like a single speed sounds like the way to go. Perhaps starting with a lower gear setup at first.

John Q Public said:
Where I live is almost all flat. Lots of paved bike paths, also flat. From what I have read it really makes me want to stay away from geared bikes. Something simple like a single speed sounds like the way to go. Perhaps starting with a lower gear setup at first.

What have you read that makes you want to stay away from geared bikes? The problem with SS is that it's great when things are flat, if you do want to go uphill one day, you might find you can't push the gear. If you only plan to ride the one route all the time and not go up any hills then a SS would be OK. Changing gears on a SS requires a new freewheel or chainring each time so get the right combo straight off. Something around a 42 ring with a 16 to 20 freewheel would be OK for flat stuff depending on how fit you are.