New to high-end bikes, what to get?

NuTT98

Mar 19, 2005
Hello :)

I'm trying to get something that's primarily comfortable, but doesn't slack performance wise. Budget being up to say $2000. Will be mainly for firm ground, but I'm hoping it will manage on dirt tracks with relatively steep inclines and minor bumps, soft spots and pot holes relatively well, as I like to go off-course once in a while :D

My first thought is the Allez Compact double crankset.
One thing I'm not sure of however is when they mention "Sizes: 50cm, 52cm, 54cm, 56cm, 58cm, 62cm". Is this referring to the length of the frame? What are the benefits/drawbacks to each? Assuming one is 5,11 in height. Also, what is the general opinion of a compact frame? Primarily in terms of comfort.

And last question... are pedal attachments universal? I'm assuming this bike and most others will not come with pedals... I don't want to be surprised when I purchase a $200 set that doesn't fit.

Apart from that, please recommend something you think will suit me best, Thx!

just to keep you from finding out the hard way you need to go to an LBS (Local Bike Shop ) and test ride a few bikes to find what fits you the best. Every one is diffrent and when your spending 2k and up you need something that is going to fit you and be comfortable for you. #1 being that if you dont like riding your bike then it's just going to be another piece of junk that sits in the corner and never gets used. Me personally i test rode close to 15 bikes before i chose my bike. You might want to look into a mtb or hybrid. But then again i baby my bike and my butt and avoid big holes and going offroad.

Everyone is different as far as sizing goes, I'm 5'11...although I was measured at 6' at my LBS...and ride a 58cm because I like a larger, more comfortable bike, but that doesn't mean much because you may have a longer torso, shorter legs...or Visa versa...so if you're planning on spending some serious cash you should get advice from your LBS...

The sizes you are refering to can vary from brand to brand, but basically, it's the length of the seat tube..normally from the center of the bottom bracket (pedal spindles) to the center of the top tube ( the long horizontal tube that connects the seat to the handle bars...kinda)....take a look at the Specialized web site and go to the Geometry diagram, you'll see what I mean...

Most Pedals have a standard 9/16" thread...so do most Cranks... they're pretty much universal...

It sounds like you should be looking at a Cyclocross bike so you can ride on and offroad...you will have plenty of choices within your $2K Budget.....

Here's an example for around $1500
http://www.feltracing.com/2005_bikes/2005_f1x.html

This will leave you $500 for a Helmet, Shoes and Pedals...

Hope this helps.

NuTT98 said:

I'm trying to get something that's primarily comfortable, but doesn't slack performance wise. Budget being up to say $2000. Will be mainly for firm ground, but I'm hoping it will manage on dirt tracks with relatively steep inclines and minor bumps, soft spots and pot holes relatively well, as I like to go off-course once in a while :D

My first thought is the Allez Compact double crankset.
One thing I'm not sure of however is when they mention "Sizes: 50cm, 52cm, 54cm, 56cm, 58cm, 62cm". Is this referring to the length of the frame? What are the benefits/drawbacks to each? Assuming one is 5,11 in height. Also, what is the general opinion of a compact frame? Primarily in terms of comfort.

And last question... are pedal attachments universal? I'm assuming this bike and most others will not come with pedals... I don't want to be surprised when I purchase a $200 set that doesn't fit.

Apart from that, please recommend something you think will suit me best, Thx!

Nice, thx.

There's still an issue about the pedals. I intend to use typical running shoes rather than biking shoes... as I want to be more casual and be comfortable off of the bike. If I go with something like the Shimano PD-R600, how would those work? All the pedals I've ever seen or used don't have clips, which is what I believe the thing on the back of the pedal is, though you should consider my knowledge of biking pedals is very limited :). Would something like that work well with regular shoes or do I have to look elsewhere?

Nutt, you really need to get a few cycling magazines and do some equipment research before you make any major purchasing decisions. They will not only help you with your current budgetary concerns but will also give a clearer picture of unexpected expenses that will pop up- oh there will be some. You also might find the reviews and technical sections helpfull in narrowing down exactly what type of ride in which you really want to invest. Like a previous poster I suggest fnding a good bike shop that will size you and let you test ride thier bikes.

Jaguar27 said:
The sizes you are refering to can vary from brand to brand, but basically, it's the length of the seat tube..normally from the center of the bottom bracket (pedal spindles) to the center of the top tube ( the long horizontal tube that connects the seat to the handle bars...kinda)....take a look at the Specialized web site and go to the Geometry diagram, you'll see what I mean...
Unless it's center to top. The nominal size means different things from different manufacturers, and the variation can make a big difference. In Felt's case, the nominal size is measured from the center of the bottom bracket all the way up to the top of the seat tube. When you're looking at different brands, be sure to get a complete geometry diagram.

I primarily rely on user reviews to guide me the way. A magazine might show it off nicely, but for all I know the frame will snap in a month. I'll try to buy wisely:) , thought if there are any good reviews sites out there, I'd have a look.

Oh, and about my pedal question: :D

NuTT98 said:
Nice, thx.

There's still an issue about the pedals. I intend to use typical running shoes rather than biking shoes... as I want to be more casual and be comfortable off of the bike. If I go with something like the Shimano PD-R600, how would those work? All the pedals I've ever seen or used don't have clips, which is what I believe the thing on the back of the pedal is, though you should consider my knowledge of biking pedals is very limited :). Would something like that work well with regular shoes or do I have to look elsewhere?

NuTT98 said:
I primarily rely on user reviews to guide me the way. A magazine might show it off nicely, but for all I know the frame will snap in a month.
Most reviews are just bankrupt,and a frame is not likely to sanp unless to weigh over 300 and go for the weight weenie stuff.

Here's my favorite:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36137&item=7142334194&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
A great price as well...just bought a pair off e-bay for my new Bianchi...and put my Wellgo R3 look style pedals that came with my bike on e-bay and it was about a wash...lol. I prefer SPD recessed cleats so you can walk around. The Shimano M324 pedals are very close to what Art referenced from Performance... may in fact be the same hardware as they look very similar. I just prefer the Shimano name for about the same price. Love these pedals for casual and clipped riding and I like to do both.
HTH,
George

NuTT98 said:

I'm trying to get something that's primarily comfortable, but doesn't slack performance wise. Budget being up to say $2000. Will be mainly for firm ground, but I'm hoping it will manage on dirt tracks with relatively steep inclines and minor bumps, soft spots and pot holes relatively well, as I like to go off-course once in a while

Go for a Giant OCR Composite 2. $1900 at a bike shop in Chicago. It's got a decent build and Ultegra 10. Probably the same geometry as the aluminum OCR 1 - a bike that I ride. The OCR bikes are really comfortable - though I think you shouldn't use them off road. My 2004.5 OCR 1 really is comfortable compared to my 2003 Cervelo Soloist Team and 2002 Giant TCR Aero 2. And it feels just as fast as my other bikes.

Alright, after some more research, slight change of plans :D

Right now, #1 choice is the Allez Elite. The 105 seems like a kickass groupy for the price.

Yay? :rolleyes:

NuTT98 said:
Nice, thx.

Without looking into it, I'm guessing the model you're looking at is the basic SPD-clipless/platform combo type, which looks like an old-fashioned platform pedal, only it's got a simple SPD-style clip on one side.

That's not a terrible option for someone interested in a pedal for truly casual, versatile use, and it's a cheap enough option I wouldn't strenusouly discourage it--that said, if you're spending $2000 on a bike, I wonder how casually you really intend to use it. You shouldn't, for instance, plan on shackling that baby to a tree while you're at work, or catching a movie... so I wonder how useful the "regular shoes" option will prove.

The upside is that yes, such an option will work fine with street shoes. It'll also provide you with an easy means of trying out a clipless system should you chose to invest in proper cycling shoes--something I recommend if you're dropping 2K on a road bike.

best of luck

PS. 105 is a great value

NuTT98 said:
Right now, #1 choice is the Allez Elite. The 105 seems like a kickass groupy for the price.
QUOTE]

105 group parts do not have replacement parts except for the chainrings. I tried to get a replacement plate hanger for my 105 derailleur and it's wasn't available. Only Ultegra and Dura Ace had the replacement parts. And if your 105 STI's get scratched you won't have replaceable nameplates.

My first bike, a 105 equiped bike - is now my trainer bike.

If you want to go 105 I believe the best choice is a Giant OCR Composite 3 or TCR Composite 3.