New to intense training, but want to know what amounts to eat and what..

Honest989

Jul 28, 2004
Hey, the subject says it all, but if anyone can give some tips, I'd be much obliged as I do the training, but eat gammon, egg, anything, which probably means I'm not getting the best out of training, so I need to find out what things I should be eating each day and their amounts.

Right now I'm on a base fitness programme that is pretty much like this:

Mon: zone 3 1-2 hrs build to 3, (on 2 1/2)
Tues Zone 2 1-2 hrs
Wednesday Rest
Thurdays: 5 min race pace intervals starting at 4 and increasing to 8 over the weeks
Friday Rest
Saturday: Zone 2 2-3 hours with hills
Sunday Rest

I'm 21 so I don't think that going on a strict diet will affect growth now and im 70 kg, (I think, could be less. Don't have a scales right atm, but last I checked I was 68, but I'm on holiday. Holiday = good eating = more weight :) )

Im doing training much like that. But could you explain your zones? what is a zone?

A zone is a range of heart beats per minute of you max heart rate that you train in. Essentially, mine is set up to increase endurance as well as base fitness as I've only done one year in cycling. I can't remember everything perfectly but

zone 1= 60- 65% (of your max heart rate)
zone 2= 65-70%
zone 3=70-75%
etc. etc.. Like I say, I can't remember the percentages perfectly so someone should correct me if I'm wrong. (I'm without my schedule atm)

The general rule is that your max heart rate is 220 minus your age but, this is GENERAL. So it's much more useful if you find a coach to work with and you measure your max heart rate. My coach worked it out from my avg TT heart rate over 10 miles which was something like 175 at the time and he said mine was probably 190.