new-to-me bike questions

Henry

Guest
I just got a used Trek 4500 that I bought from Ebay. The bike seems okay except for a few things:

1) There is some significant play in the rear wheel if you grab it and shake it. I'm guessing the
bearings might be shot. Do I just replace the whole wheel? If so, recommendations?

2) The rear brakes don't want to work well. They seem adjusted okay but when I squeeze the lever,
they will not lock the wheel, even in dirt. The pads look fairly new.

Any advice?

I believe the answer to question number 2 is that the brake cable is stretching. Replacing the cable
that should take care of it. "Henry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just got a used Trek 4500 that I bought from Ebay. The bike seems okay except for a few things:
>
> 1) There is some significant play in the rear wheel if you grab it and shake it. I'm guessing the
> bearings might be shot. Do I just replace the whole wheel? If so, recommendations?
>
> 2) The rear brakes don't want to work well. They seem adjusted okay but when I squeeze the lever,
> they will not lock the wheel, even in dirt. The pads look fairly new.
>
> Any advice?

> 1) There is some significant play in the rear wheel if you grab it and shake it. I'm guessing the
> bearings might be shot. Do I just replace the whole wheel? If so, recommendations?

Check that the wheel is all the way in the dropouts, and that the quick release lever is secured
correctly.

> 2) The rear brakes don't want to work well. They seem adjusted okay but when I squeeze the lever,
> they will not lock the wheel, even in dirt. The pads look fairly new.
>
> Any advice?

Go to your LBS...a lot of places have what is called a "safety check" where they go over the whole
bike and let you know what's wrong with it. If you don't know how to adjust V-brakes, it is best to
let the pros get their hands on it. And, while you are out, pick up a book on bike repair. It's more
fun and much cheaper to do it yourself.

Chris

> I just got a used Trek 4500 that I bought from Ebay. The bike seems okay except for a few things:
>
> 1) There is some significant play in the rear wheel if you grab it and shake it. I'm guessing the
> bearings might be shot. Do I just replace the whole wheel? If so, recommendations?
>
> 2) The rear brakes don't want to work well. They seem adjusted okay but when I squeeze the lever,
> they will not lock the wheel, even in dirt. The pads look fairly new.
>
> Any advice?

Congratulations on the new bike. The rear wheel play could be a couple things, all involving the
rear hub. Yank the wheel off and re-install it and see if it's in the dropouts perfectly. If you
still have the play, get it into the shop.

The rear brakes are easy to adjust. There are a few ways. You should have barrel rollers where the
cable meets the hand lever. If you wind that out (counter clock-wise) it effectively lengthens the
cable housing while leaving the cable it's self the same length. This should tighten up the pads on
the rim making braking easier. Or, you could adjust the cable as it enters the brake assembly at the
rear wheel. This involves loosening the nut that the cable passes through on the brake arm, pulling
it through a bit more, tightening it up and rechecking it by spinning the wheel and grabbing the
brake again. Lots of info out there on the web w/pictures and books available too. Good luck.

Greg

$30 bucks for a tune-up at your LBS. Probably need a new brake cable ( Rear) And tighten up the
cones on the rear axle. If you know how great. If not, leave it to the pros.

TJ supports his local bike shop with doughnuts.

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 01:53:56 GMT, [email protected] (Henry) wrote:

>I just got a used Trek 4500 that I bought from Ebay. The bike seems okay except for a few things:
>
>1) There is some significant play in the rear wheel if you grab it and shake it. I'm guessing the
> bearings might be shot. Do I just replace the whole wheel? If so, recommendations?
>
>2) The rear brakes don't want to work well. They seem adjusted okay but when I squeeze the lever,
> they will not lock the wheel, even in dirt. The pads look fairly new.
>
>Any advice?

LBS and/or bicycle books.

peace, bill

:-]

"Henry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Any advice?

I'll just add to the great advice others have given on using an LBS. Make friends with these guys,
get them to show you how it is done. Spend a couple of bucks. Ultimately, they will willingly teach
you how to wrench your bike and they get a customer for life.
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado