New to riding need some advice on bikes

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by dacrim, Feb 15, 2007.

1. dacrim

dacrim New Member

I haven’t owned a bike since I was about 14, I am now 29 and looking at getting back into riding for fitness for starters and then maybe progressing in a year or twos time to some serious riding!!! At the moment though I think I’m looking at getting a Hybrid, I've had a look at the Giant Cypress, the Apollo Incline and Shadow, the Avanti Discovery and the Trek 7000 my current budget is about$450 - $500 AUD
    I’m hoping that some one could give me some advice on any of these bikes, if one is better than the other or which way I should go.

I will be riding mainly on roads, bike paths and occasionally on loose gravel/stones.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Tags:

2. 100%

100% New Member

trek would be my choice.. life time and 3 yr warranty. till you buy a road bike.

3. bleu_morgan

bleu_morgan New Member

Buy a mountain bike and get an extra set of road tires to switch out for road riding

4. FriendlyFred

FriendlyFred New Member

I was in much the same position you are now in when i got back into riding.
    What worked for me was a Trek hybrid (I went for the 7700fx- expensive new, but can be had used at a reasonable price). I spent about 4 years riding that bike, then moved onto my first road bike. Now I have 5 road bikes, and the hybrid is now someone else's new starter bike. My thinking was it was better to go with the best hybrid I could get, rather than a cheap road bike. When I finally did get my first road bike, I went for the 1200-1500 range, and have moved up as funds have allowed :)

good hunting. You'll never regret getting back on the bike, it's great

5. dacrim

dacrim New Member

Thanks for the advice, I have gone for the 07 Giant Farrago as I got a very good deal on it.