New to road biking and in pain. Please help!

JigJags

Apr 19, 2011
Hi everyone.

I recently bought a bike and am really happy with it in every department, except that it is causing me some serious pain! Firstly I have the groin pain - any tips gratefully received as I am 'raw'!
The main issue is lower back pain though - caused mainly by having to reach down into an unnatural position (for a mountain-biker!) to ride. The bike is 59cm and I am 6'3" so the saddle isn't having to be set up all that high and it is seemingly the correct size bike for me. I don't know if the handlebars go any higher and if that would make any difference but it is causing me some real pain that I've never met before when cycling. I'm a bit gutted as I've been planning on cycling to work but after yesterday I just can't cope with having to pile in any more ibuprofen!

Any tips or guidance would be very welcome!

Thanks in advance

Dunc

dunc->I am sorry to hear about the LBP. Did you have a fitting done? Please make sure you have a fitting done as that should do the trick.

MTB bikes likes Hybrid bikes should be much better for LBP than road bikes. The general rule of dumb when deal with LBP is to try and make sure you are more straight up sitting closer to the handlebars.

If none of these things help, be careful cause as a man who deals with spine issues you want to check with your doctor as it can be inidcation of some lumbar issues.

-js

first get a good pair of bike shorts, they dont have to be tight lycra if you are uncomfortable in those they also make nice baggie style shorts. If the budget allows dont get the cheapest ones.

If you bought it at a bike shop go back and talk to them and see if they can adjust the fit.

Then start out with very short rides and work up so that your body can get used to eveything.

Good Luck!

I would agree with the suggestion to go to the LBS and get some adjustments. Shorts with padding help but not the complete answer. Proper saddle is also on the radar. The whole sit bones width and saddle width being congruent. But what I'm coming to the conclusion through reading and my own experience is proper posture is key. When I pay attention to my posture, I cure alot of ills. And I think that's why so many people complain of perineum pain; because they aren't positioned properly on their saddle with good posture. Good posture, IMO, comes from good core. I suggest everyone can always have better core strength (or most of us). And lastly, I think everyone needs just a little toughening up in the nether regions when they first get going. Covering all these bases, I think your back pain will start to diminish. Just one man's observation/opinion.

Originally Posted by doctorold .

I would agree with the suggestion to go to the LBS and get some adjustments. Shorts with padding help but not the complete answer. Proper saddle is also on the radar. The whole sit bones width and saddle width being congruent. But what I'm coming to the conclusion through reading and my own experience is proper posture is key. When I pay attention to my posture, I cure alot of ills. And I think that's why so many people complain of perineum pain; because they aren't positioned properly on their saddle with good posture. Good posture, IMO, comes from good core. I suggest everyone can always have better core strength (or most of us). And lastly, I think everyone needs just a little toughening up in the nether regions when they first get going. Covering all these bases, I think your back pain will start to diminish. Just one man's observation/opinion.
Very well said and I agree completely. Nearly everyone starting cycling has your issues with sore butt etc. It take a little time to toughen up the butt, however a "Good" fit is all important too. The right size bike, the right saddle, Shorts, and a the right fitting on the bike will help a lot. Good luck.