New to road biking. looking to get entery level bike. Here are my local options. Trek vs Raleigh.

DeadLights

Apr 9, 2011
Only 3 bike shops locally. I would rather buy locally then go to another city or purchase online. I like being able to take something back if I have to. Plus it's just nice to have the whole community thing going on.

That being said. I have two choices in my price range. Trek or Raleigh. One store deal specifically in Trek. The other store has other brands WAY out of my price range and Raleigh.

I have to stay under 1k. That's just my budget and I must live with it for now. So locally my only options are Trek 1.1, 1.2 and Raleigh Revenio 1.0 and 2.0 (I think).

I have read a lot about the differences between Trek 1.1 and 1.2. I know 1.2 has the carbon fork and better gears. I'm not convinced that I really need that in an entry level bike. I have been riding steep hilly rides on a $300 Schwinn mountain bike for years. It's been a great bike. What ever bike I buy must last me for the next few years. 3-5 years at a guess. I enjoy long rides and I live in a very hilly part of town. I have been doing 2-4 hour rides on a mountain bike. I'm guessing making the switch to road is going to be like entering heaven.

Raleigh I have done less research on so I'm not sure if they are a good brand or not--one of the reasons I'm posting here asking.

Raliegh is as good as Trek. Since both of the bikes that you are looking at are similarly equipped, let your backside do the choosing for you. Test ride them both and get the one that you like best.

Most of the reviews I have read on the 1.1 and 1.2 trek are from people who have owned one for 2 months. Will these bikes hold up for 3-5 years? I don't see myself financially being able to upgrade until then, so I'm hoping what ever I buy will last me.

This bike lasted me ten years and I was able to sell it for 200 on Craig list. The 1.1 and 1.2 are the replacement for the 1000. You should have no trouble getting many years of use.

I think I'm going to go with the Trek 1.1

It's nicer to my wallet then 1.2 and I can spend the extra cash on things I'll need. Like pedals/shoes/helmet and such.

I went to the local dealer today and he tried to sell me a Gary Fisher over the Trek 1.1

I'm not sure what the "model" was but he said it had a carbon fork and he would buy it over the Trek 1.1. It is about $100 more then the Trek 1.1 and after accessories puts me over my budget.

I tried finding the bike online but I'm not having any luck. I was dead set on the Trek 1.1 when I went in the store, but the salesman's curve ball made me walk out empty handed. I just can't buy anything on the word of one person. I have to do lots of reading and research before I drop $800+ on anything.

Stick with the 1.1 they are the same bike with different forks. The fork is not worth 200 bucks and the Trek will resell easier if you ever sell it in the future.

Thank davereo. I was leaning that way, but the salesman I had was relentless on that Fisher. He either REALLY likes it, or just wanted to get it out of his show room. When I go back in I'll cut him off really quick--if I get the same guy--and let him know that I'm not interested in that bike.

Update. I found a trek 1.1 2010 on craigslist. It is a 56cm bike. I have been trying to compare the two frames, as I wont have someone in the bike shop with me when dealing used. From what I can tell the 2011 Trek 1.1 56cm frame is almost identical to the Fisher 55cm.

I can't find specs online for 2010 model but I'm guessing it's going to be pretty close. I'm going to check out the used bike here in about an hour. If it's in good condition I may buy it. I'm hoping it fits well enough, and for $500 I can't overlook the price.

I'm thinking the 56cm Trek 1.1 will fit me ok. Especially if the bike shop fitted me to a 55cm Fisher that appears to be identical in frame size. At least to this years model. Is there major differences in the Trek 2010 vs 2011 1.1 frame?

They are identical except for the color. The 2010 was done in Carera Blue. 1 cm isn't gonna effect your fit much. Most bikes have up to a +/- 3 cm adjustment range so you should be OK.

I got a chance to ride the bike yesterday. I'm no professional but it felt ok to me while riding. It's in mint condition. Under 100 miles on it and owned for about one year. For $600. I'm going to go buy it today. Woohoo!

I was in the same boat about 18 months ago. Looked at Trek and Raleigh, as well as a host of other bikes way out of my price range. I was committed to staying under $900 . I decided to go with the Raleigh for fit and feel because after much research, online and asking cycling friends, I decided the components were pretty similar on most of the bikes at that level. After much deliberation and several test rides, I went with the Raleigh Revenio 2.0. It has been a great bike. I rode about 3500 miles in the first 12 months and not a single problem. The Sora shifters/component set are adequate - not as crisp as the Dura Ace types I tested but at half the price - or less, it was a great deal. I did upgrade from the stock pedals and that improvement has been huge.

When I was testing bikes, I rode a few entry level Specialized bikes but found for the same component set, they were more expensive.

Good luck with it.