New to road biking..need advice

bspeedy00

Jan 6, 2005
Ok, so I need some advice. I am a collegiate track athlete and want to start racing road bikes when my running career is done. I bought a cannondale last summer and fell in love with biking, but I dont know how to really get into the sport, and how can I tell if I'd be any good in the first place? I have read about how many good riders have a low heart rate, and mine is low, but not that low (like high 40's/low 50's). Also, I can ride 20+ mph for well over an hour without much difficulty (with hills), but I have no idea what it takes to ride well in a race. I guess I would like to get some idea of what the races are like and what it takes to be competative.

bspeedy00 said:
Ok, so I need some advice. I am a collegiate track athlete and want to start racing road bikes when my running career is done. I bought a cannondale last summer and fell in love with biking, but I dont know how to really get into the sport, and how can I tell if I'd be any good in the first place? I have read about how many good riders have a low heart rate, and mine is low, but not that low (like high 40's/low 50's). Also, I can ride 20+ mph for well over an hour without much difficulty (with hills), but I have no idea what it takes to ride well in a race. I guess I would like to get some idea of what the races are like and what it takes to be competative.

Contact the USCF (you're in the US, right?) and they'll put you in contact with a club in your area. They'll offer coaching and racing, so you'll soon work out where you stand.

Welcome to the sport. First, get a helmet and make sure it sits correctly on your head. Second get fitted for you bike if you haven't already. Bad positioning will hurt your body and your performance. Make riding fun and do what you like. Just remember to follow all traffic laws and yield when necessary. For racing, try to enter a time trial (its kinda like track) and then a small road race or an easy criterium. 20+ is great for a beginner but be careful when riding with others. Never overlap your front wheel with their rear wheel when riding behind someone. I would also recommend that you find a mom-and-pop bike shop and ask about group rides and races. Find some people to ride with and ask a ton of questions. The more you ride with others, the more you'll be able to gauge your fitness. Above all, have fun and don't put too much pressure on yourself. Remember it takes a minimum of 5 serious years to reach anything near your true ability.