New to road cycling and have already broke my arm!

DCM1

May 6, 2011
Hi, I am new to road cycling and havent cycled much in the past apart from when i was younger and had a mountain bike. I got talked into doing the manchester to blackpool ride this summer and so around 8-10 weeks ago set off to but a new road bike (Cube Attempt).

Over the past few weeks i have really got into it however this week i have had two crashes the second of which resulted in a broken radius bone in my forearm yesterday (which is really sore!). The first crash resulted in having to brake hard to avoid a car that pulled out on me and in classic beginer style i forgot my feet where clipped into pedals and toppled over.

I felt i was doing well and had my distance up to around 40 miles but now i am feeling really discourged and apprehensive to get back on the bike again. The doctor says i wont be able to ride fir around 6-8 weeks and given the blackpool ride is in July i'm no longer sure i'll be able to make either due to my arm still being sore or lack of training.

One of my main concerns is using the clipless pedals, i just dont feel confident in them, are they an absolute must or would standard pedals function well enough for me (are there alternatives to clipless pedals that are commonly used)?

Apologies for any typo's as i am typing this one handed!

As far as maintaining your fitness level you should have no problem riding a stationary bike. In fact you can end up in better shape by following an interval training program.
Like the old saying goes you have to get back up on your bike and ride it. Just make sure your arm is healed properly by following your prescribed RX plan. You will also need to keep your hand strong. You may be surprised how much you use it for braking and shifting.
Dave

Thanks Dave, i will be getting to gym once its healed a bit to try maintain my fitness on the fixed exercise bikes.

The cost of a gym membership would go a long way towards the cost of a trainer that you could put your own bike on so you could ride it at home. Most good bike shops have them and you really don't need anything fancy - most are just little triangular "A" frames that support the backwheel and are commonly known as "turbo trainers" over there due to the fact that most of them drive a fan attached to the back roller. With one of these, you could practise getting your feet in and out of the pedals as often as you want. ;)

On the ride itself, once you get past Preston all the little hills are done and the only obsticle you'll have to face is the sea breeze on the ride into Blackpool. Im not sure how they get you up towards Inskip, but if they send you up the A6 to Broughton to take a left at the cross roads, the country road all the way to the coast is a fantasic little lane.

Thanks, i was considering a trainer for the winter when the weathers really bad so i will take a look into it.

I'm considering using old stlye platform pedals though, maybe something like these, at least i'll be able to get my feet on the road at shorter notice!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wellgo-b25-cnc-alloy-flat-pedals/

I know I will loose the benefits you get with cleats but the confidence factor is more important to me at the moment.

Originally Posted by DCM1 .

Thanks, i was considering a trainer for the winter when the weathers really bad so i will take a look into it.

I'm considering using old stlye platform pedals though, maybe something like these, at least i'll be able to get my feet on the road at shorter notice!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wellgo-b25-cnc-alloy-flat-pedals/

I know I will loose the benefits you get with cleats but the confidence factor is more important to me at the moment.
It doesn't take that long to get used to clipless pedals. After a week of use on the trainer you'll become a pro at it. If your pedals have a tension adjustment, just set it down to the lowest setting.

Also, some pedals allow you to unclip by twisting your heel inwards rather than out - which I always found much easier. Before you know it you'll be clipping in and out of those pedals without even having to look where the pedals are...